Can I ask for a refund?

Pfft. Console peasants. Kneel before the GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE.

5 Likes

Coleco Telstar predates PC gaming by about a decade, so there was evolution into that. But really, to get access to most top quality games on a computer, you have to run Windows and I can’t bring myself to do that. There are a remarkable number of games being ported to Linux though. Steam is still stuck in the 32 bit era for some reason and that makes me sad.

2 Likes

you mean the still M$ driven one ?

2 Likes

Linux support via Steam’s Proton and Lutris is pretty solid at this point. There are some major games that won’t due to anti-cheat mechanisms (Destiny 2 which will result in a perm ban, Fortnite), but on the whole it’s pretty easy to just game in Linux and not need Windows.

it’s a pain in the ass to be forced to work on windows and game on Linux though …

i mean if i have to work in the gulag might as well play there too … maybe i’ll get married and have children there too … after all we are very adaptable … or should i say adoptable :unamused:

File bugs to WIne then to get your software to run if you haven’t already, throw a bug bounty on it if you’re so inclined. Only way to improve support for Windows native only apps on Linux if your work apps aren’t supported by Wine yet and you have to have whatever app (I understand, Wine doesn’t have solid support for Kontakt yet)

Loved the Dreamcast :slightly_smiling_face:. It was awesome.

1 Like

NFL2k , NFL2k1 , south park kart , south park chefs love shack . yea man . Dreamcast was awesome . Best console of its era I think .

Oh I am very much impressed with what Steam has accomplished. My only issue is their 32bit dependencies, which messes with other things on my system that are more important than gaming, unfortunately.
@reC I find it a pain in the ass to work in Linux and have a need to game in Windows, it’s why I game on a console.

1 Like

Hey, I didn’t know about Linux back then (and yes, games are the only reason why I even keep Windows around).

1 Like

And games are a legit reason to use Windows, that and hardware support.

Stop treading on my freedom with your judge-y ways, yo.

1 Like

If you use Windows then you hardly have any freedom to thread on left!

2 Likes

If all one does with that freedom is wear a tin foil hat and remain ignorant about the world around them, then the same could be said about them.

The problem with extremism, regardless of ideology, is that it taints everything.

If you like video games, and don’t want to be stuck with a very limited selection and predominately amateurish efforts, than windows is the only solution. (as far as the PC masta race is concerned.) As discussed previously Direct X is just much better than OpenGL. As a game developer, you have really very little incentive to support OpenGL in the desktop/laptop arena. It’s more a PR stunt for the little guys than an honest endeavor. You just don’t make any money on people who think everything should be free. (Even if that is not what the ideology means.)

I’m glad that Purism while staunch in their position, stands by their principles even if they don’t agree with the exercising of them.

Running Windows on a Librem, or putting Android on the Librem 5 are two things that Purism stands for, even if they don’t agree with it.

Edit: I of course don’t intend to do either of those things.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s like that famous quote that is not really by Voltaire but somehow in his spirit anyway:

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

In this case:

“I disapprove of your idea to put Android on a Librem 5, but I will defend to the death your right to do it.”

1 Like

Everything should be free is one extreme and is utopian communism. Everything should be sold is another extreme of the same model. The right balance is in the middle. which is the reason many big-tech companies like Intel, Google, Oracle are contributing to OSS. RedHat even makes their living on OSS by finding another Lagrangian point in this complex system.

6 Likes

OpenGL, no. Vulkan, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely.

2 Likes

Yeah Vulkan is very interesting!

I think it was mentioned before, but it’s worth keeping in mind that Steam’s Proton has come a long way, particularly if you have a large library. To check your games, see www.protondb.com. I’m much more often pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Hi jaylittle,
I tried to send you a personal message but the system said that you’re currently not able to receive any…?
Can you send me one to see if it works?
Thanks
Debcool

Guys, can we get back to the topic of this thread?
It would be much appreciated.