Can Pure OS be used for work?

I’m guessing that Pure OS can be used for work without an additional commercial license based on what I know about free software but I just wanted to double-check. Is there anything in the software license for Pure OS that would inhibit the user from using the computer for work? I was thinking of just using it to work from home.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of free software, you are free to do with it whatever you want - use it, study it, copy it, modify it, without having to ask for permission.
The only thing you need to honor is the license, i.e. you can not claim authorship or exclusive ownership etc.

Cheers
nicole

9 Likes

yes and the Gnome foundation and other not-for-profit foundations have to (from-time-to-time) defend against patent-trolls …

edited for ignorance :wink: thank you Nicole

1 Like

Just a minor remark - the GNOME foundation isn’t a company, it’s a (not for profit) foundation, but else, yes, patent trolls stink.

Cheers
nicole

3 Likes

No there are companies that won’t allow anything but W/10 machine (that isn’t a pending W/7 waiting to be upgraded).

Servers notwithstanding.

yes there still are, luckily there’s growing tendency towards byod where it is sufficient to pass nac compliance check to gain access to the cor resources.

Speaking of BYOD, my company forbids them except a phone.

And speaking of phones, they won’t let you have one on the manufacturing floor unless they install an app on it that lets them do anything, turn on anything, including the microphone. They can even disable it remotely. And they give you a sticker you have to apply to it saying its approved.

Oh, it sounds rather like OT than IT, in OT rules are totally different and it lags behind IT by 5-10 years normally.

That depends on the rules set up by your particular company, but I have been using pureos for work for some time. It works like it should, although in comparison to fedora (what i use at home), packages may sometimes be a bit dated. Other than that it seems like a very stable platform thus far :slight_smile:
If as mentioned your company doesn’t allow non-windows computers then i guess it’s going to be tough :slight_smile:

Or like my co-worker who used to be a supervisor at linkedin. If you managed to load unauthorized software on your… (ahem) their Windows/OS PC/laptop, that machine was locked out, alarms and blinking lights would go off and the IT police would send you to the loading dock to unpack servers for a few days. After your time in purgatory was over you’d get a brand new PC or laptop . They wouldn’t even settle for a re-image.

1 Like