Can Twine programme be run on pure os? (open-source tool for telling interactive, nonlinear stories)

Hi guys

New to Linux so pls bear with- is the following possible? Pls visit twinery.org

I want to install this on the librum computer. How to do this? Is it compatible (etc)?

I had downloaded the Linux version 32bit on another computer to a USB and then transferred this to home directory on librum where it sits as a folder. How do I run it / get it to work?

No joy so wondering if it’s compatible or doing something wrong

Thank you so much for your consideration
Kind regards
T

1 Like

I don’t believe PureOS supports 32-bit programs. There might be a way to enable it, but other people would have to chime in.

1 Like

there is also a 64bit version the links are just arranged in a way that makes it not that obvious which to chose. https://github.com/klembot/twinejs/releases/download/2.3.5/twine_2.3.5_linux64.zip
don’t have a pure os Laptop available at the moment but under Fedora 30 you just have to unpack the zip file into a folder and run the twine program found with in the extracted folder.

2 Likes

Thanks v much!

Downloaded the new file (on other computer) to USB and now it sits in home folder / directory on purism OS. When I click on “twine_2_2” a bunch of other folders appear, I click on “twine” icon and get “Could not display “twine” There is no application installer for “executable” files. Do you want to search for an application to open this file?”
Can I ask what next? How to get this working? How to unpack the zip file if downloading is not enough?

1 Like

Thanks v much in advance again!

1 Like

strange the file you download should be called twine_2.3.5_linux64.zip then you need to unzip the zip file either via the file manager or via the terminal.
In the file browser/manager just right click on it and select extract here altenative you should find the necessary information in this ask ubuntu entry after that you should have the folder into which you unzipped the file.
Generaly it should get the same name as the zip file so it should be called twine_2.3.5_linux64.
Within that folder you should find a file called twine right click on it as select run.

1 Like

with problems like unzipping and stuff you can just search for them on the internet by adding Debian to the search.
For example
AFAIK the first result after the add should be the same as I linked above.

1 Like

I tried again from that same link and that is not what downloaded and it is not a zip file either. This latest attempt the file is called “twine_2-4”, When right-clicking on it there is no option to extract, only open, open with other application etc.

What on earth is going on. I am downloading the file from a Mac safari…any ideas? thanks again

1 Like

Strange okay lets try it with a different link not sure what kind of mess Mac is doing again.
can you open this site https://github.com/klembot/twinejs/releases/ and then try to download the entry called twine_2.3.5_linux64.zip should be the second one from the top under Assets.

1 Like

whilst it downloading it says “twine_2.3.5_linux64.zip” and looks like a zip file and once it has finished downloading the folder name changes to (now to" twine_2-5" - a normal folder of 170.2 MB). Looks like the other folders from the same link. This was then copied to USB and put in home folder on purism OS.

It does not look like a zip folder. How to get it working?

1 Like

@twilkins Sorry I don’t know how to help you with that not sure what’s wrong with your Mac.
Any chance to download it directly on the Librem Laptop you have then the information in my previous messages should enable you to get it working.

1 Like

ok thanks, will consider that

1 Like

Well what do you know, unbelievable. Tried downloading the same link on an old windows machine from way back when and it downloaded fine, transferred it to purism OS home folder, hit the extract like you suggested and run and now the application is working fine.

Seems to be the case the Mac is either infected or some dirty game going on

Thanks again

1 Like

More likely it is the Mac just trying to be helpful to the average non-technical user.

2 Likes

I’m late to this thread, but…

Warning: Salty vernacular language

I got an instant tech-erection when I saw non-linear storytelling!!! :rofl: :joy:

I didn’t know this existed, so thanks @twilkins for the post. This is the type of system needed to manage online debate / argument / dialogue where an intractable, subjective or otherwise complicated set of claims and logical conclusions branch, loop and so forth. Editors who present a “new” argument could get linked to where it ran to a conclusion in a prior part of the “Book” or marked as a dead-end, and so on.

Before starting a reply I was poking around on their site and found they have a web interface too, so that would accommodate the people who can’t get an app to install:
Use it online
But I see you got through the problems before I could have written this.

1 Like

There is a way. Shameless plug in this link

4 Likes

Oh, well that is super cool. I really should experiment with chroot more

1 Like