Can we get a demonstration of the Librem 5 Birch from Bryan Lunduke?

Wait…what was the name of the company you paid (you’re in Australia, right?)

? Company I paid? I don’t understand. Can you be clearer?

Well, for example there’s McDonald’s in the states but here in Canada it’s McDonalds (no apostrophe, sometimes a maple leaf where the apostrophe would be) because of our language laws. I was just curious if Australia has something similar and for what reason because you keep saying “Pure” as the name of the company.

Hey, several people refer to the company as Librem, so Pure is pretty close :wink:

Language laws? That sounds ridiculous :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s so odd, we respect that Quebec as it is it’s own distinct culture with it’s own language within Canada.. In fact, I personally feel guilty that I don’t speak more french :frowning:

1 Like

Bad habit I s’pose. Never really noticed. Interchangeable.

Thanks @Torrone! Above demo (video) is worth more than thousand words (from myself for example).

1 Like

Unless you have first-hand experience in “crowdfunded” style hardware innovation or at least software development (and the internal chaos that is typical), my advice is to keep calm, and not to over-analyze every bit of information that comes out.

Hardware development, mixed in with all the mass production challenges, seems to me like it’s an order of magnitude more challenging than software. This involves both of those.

A small company is going to need time to sort through it all. Probably more time than was planned (which is the norm, not the exception). It’s good that Purism is an existing business, rather than some guys in a basement. That gives me more confidence that one day, most goals will be reached, but it won’t prevent the delays.

If delays to you == “something has gone wrong”, well yeah, many things always “go wrong” with these efforts. This tells us nothing about what the end state will be. Always expect schedule slippage, this is normal. The only cases where it’s not normal is when a project wasn’t truly ambitious.

7 Likes

French language is great, but an “Anti-Apostrophe Law”? :open_mouth: I had no idea!

4 Likes

Mhm… Shouldn’t it be De McDonald then? The s is genetive indicating the possesive like asking:
Whose building is this? McDonald’s!
Apostrophe or not, I am not aware of the s to be used in french
actually an interesing wiki article on that: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Génitif#Génitif_saxon
And yes it’s in french, but if you know some languages like english and spanish you’ll probably be able to read it ^^

Funny enough that in German the s is also used for that case, but without apostrophe unless you would not speak the s because of having the word already ending with something like a s. So actually McDonalds would it be if one would apply German Grammar - however as you might already assumed: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald’s :wink:

2 Likes

Wikipedia knows why: “Dick & Mac McDonald = McDonald’s Bar-B-Q”. One is now certain: for two brothers nameplate without “Bar-B-Q” was practical and cheaper solution. And with the time barbecue got smaller as well (but the price remained) and now is offered in just in kids’ plate size. It might be than just logical for Canadians to throw away obsolete apostrophe as well and leave it in pure English plural, IMHO. And apostrophe is still used when needed, like McDonald’s®. I am fine with that as so much English I can follow, I think. American’s English doesn’t exist anyway. @DemBeesDoneStolenAll, me too, I personally feel guilty that I don’t speak more French, as not living far away.
Edit: Australian name is Macca’s®, since 2013.

1 Like

No, it’s just easier for companies to drop the apostrophe to comply with language laws as they apply to signs :slight_smile: Mind you, if you’ll notice, this is probably the reason I frequently screw up the use of apostrophes even though the only language I speak is english :frowning:

To address your concern, I will note that Purism could certainly desire to get more for its money from Lunduke in his role of Librem evangelism than they have so far achieved. If he has a job with them yet, as we can certainly expect to be the case at the present, he is remarkably silent in the task. The absence of promotion may not be condemnation of the device, but it is rather curious at the lack of activity. The silence says a good deal, none of which is terribly good.

1 Like

Maybe the device has been promoted to the limits of its current capabilities?

2 Likes

But I am still wondering what the point was behind banning the apostrophe in the first place, in Canada.

Or does it have something to do with the fact that the French translation of “McDonald’s” would be “McDonalds” [note: I don’t even know if that’s true] and rather than give the name twice, they just decided to be ungrammatical?

A hundred years from now, it will likely be a official, taught-in-school peculiarity of Canadian English grammar [alongside any idiosyncrasies in spelling like “honour” instead of “honor” (following British custom) but “tire” instead of “tyre” (following US custom)] that the apostrophe is not used in Canadian English.

(english, french below)
I am from the province of Quebec. I wish you good luck to learn French. It is a beautiful beautiful language, but I tell you it is more complex than English. Fun fact, when we speak it is not unusual for you to see a Quebecer correct another because he did not say something in the good way. So do not stop at the fact that you make mistakes because even Quebecers make mistakes in our own language.

(français)
Je te souhaite bonne chance pour apprendre le francais. C’est une superbe belle langue, parcontre je te le dis elle est plus complexe que l’anglais. Fait amusant, lorsque l’on ce parle il n’est pas rare que tu vois un québécois en corriger un autre parce qu’il na pas dit quelque chose de la bonne manière. Donc ne te butte pas au fais que tu fais des erreur parce que même les québécois en font des erreurs dans notre propre langue.

2 Likes

It wasn’t banned, it’s just that companies found the easiest way to comply with the language laws that require signs be in both french and english would be to drop the apostrophe if the name of the company were a possessive name (kinda a loophole). Tee hee, what’s funny is that every one in Montreal just knows McDonalds as “McDo”

If I may add - I started to learn French a couple of years ago, and approximately a year after a traumatic brain injury that left me in the ICU. I have fallen in love with the language. It is the primary language of my computer, my phone, and more. I highly recommend learning it to anyone. And I’m happy to share all the tips and things I’ve found that helped me learn along the way. Just message me if you have interest.

I’m certainly happy you recovered :slight_smile: Actually, last night I took up duo lingo on smoke breaks again (used to do it , but it got super gamified a while back so I stopped)

Oh I do know that :slight_smile: Right now I’m using the tactic when in a french environment of honestly trying, and then having people ask me what I want in english. I don’t know if it’s that you’re all smarter, less lazy, or simply more patient but I’ve found most speak english. Definitely more patient with me though so thanks for that :slight_smile: Because of yesterday (and generally feeling crap about my own french “skills”), I took up doing duo lingo on my smoke breaks again :slight_smile: