Cannot boot my librem 13 v3 after OS update

Hello, this morning I did an apt update followed by apt upgrade. All went well until after rebooting. My librem got stuck. Here is how it goes:

• Press the power key
  • Purism logo appears on screen
  • console screen: attempting to decrypt master key... Enter passphrase for hd0,msdos2 (6a65-...):
  • whatever I type here has exactly the same effect later, be it my LUKS password, random text or even just pressing ESC
  • GRUB appears -> PureOS GNU Linux
  • Graphical mode: please unlock disk luks-6a65... I type my LUKS password
  • cryptsetup: luks-6a65... : set up successfully + the PureOS Logo, this time in text.
  • it hangs there.
  • I hit ESC, that switches to console mode: there is something looking like a boot sequence:
  • i915 0000:00:02.0: firmware: failed to load i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.
  • firmware_class: See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware
  • Volume group ā€œluksā€ not found
  • Cannot process volume group luks
  • Volume group ā€œluksā€ not found
  • Cannot process volume group luks
  • /dev/mapper/luks-6a65ā€¦: recovering journal
  • /dev/mapper/luks-6a65ā€¦: clean, 539136/29327360 files, 25813988/117306274 blocks
    -[*** ] A start job is running for /dev/mapper/luks-2d34ā€¦ (5min 13s / no limit)

and it stays like that.

Note that the start job is for a different uuid than the other luks related messages.

I can still boot in recovery mode though, that is how I am typing this message.

I am wondering what went wrong. And what am I missing in recovery mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @bastien, Iā€™ll try and help you with this issue. Firstly, thanks for the detailed report, this is immensely helpful. But I think there are two things at work here, one is luks the other is firmware. I say that because I too have an issue with the firmware but Iā€™m able to boot normally. What happens on my end is that it loads an older version of the firmware later on in the boot process. I wonder if that is the case with you as well? If so, then we can rule out firmware being the culprit here possibly. May I ask that you do this command and paste some output;

journalctl -b

That command will dump the system log from the last boot. You should see similar output to what I have had and put in our issue tracker here: https://tracker.pureos.net/T718

Meanwhile Iā€™ll look into how to update the firmware or if this is necessary.

Thanks @jeremiah

Regarding the missing firmware, I have a very un-scientific approach here: I am pretty sure I have been seeing this message for a while now and even thought I should be looking into it.
On top of that, journalctl -b shows exactly the same output as yours ending up with an initialized i915 1.6.0.

So I think we can rule this out.

The luks thing though looks quite new, I canā€™t remember having seen this before, nor does my browser history.

I thought I would ask here mostly because I have a stock PureOS on top of the Librem and thought that if it happens to me it should be happening to more people. But maybe itā€™s only me.

1 Like

Itā€™s not only you. :slight_smile: In fact I have had this issue as well with the luks encryption key. In my experience however, it matters greatly what you put in to the terminal. I was putting in my password, it was the right password, but it was being input incorrectly because, unbeknownst to me, my external keyboard had numlock on. I switched to my laptops keyboard, but setting numlock on the external keyboard still had an effect on my laptop keyboard so I had to use the NumLk to turn that off and then use the laptop keyboard to enter the correct password to boot.

Are you using an external keyboard?

For about a week now, I get the 7 first bullet points of OP on my L13 v2 with stock Pure OS Then it goes on to boot normally.

Can you both check to see if there is a "GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y" line in/etc/default/grub ?

If so, you can comment that out, then do a ā€˜sudo update-grubā€™, and then reboot. Grub should stop asking for a password then.

I donā€™t use an external keyboard. Actually I donā€™t have anything plugged into my Librem at the moment.

I have commented the line in grub config and sure enough it stops asking for the password. But the behavior is still the same.

As soon as I get some time Iā€™ll look into the luks volume group not found error.

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you for your help.

1 Like

itā€™s getting trickier to boot. I try to avoid rebooting, but at some point Iā€™ll have to do software updates. Sometimes the system goes a bit out of control and I have to reboot. This morning I thought I would not be able to boot any more as the recovery mode was not working. I succeeded but I donā€™t know how I did it.
My Librem is my work laptop and there are some moments when I canā€™t really afford to be fiddling with boot menus. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it though, so no problem with that.
I think Iā€™ll try to find a moment to backup and re-install the OS. Iā€™ll let you know if it helps.

Hi bastien, sorry to hear about the continued issues. If you reinstall the OS, perhaps you might want to use the GNOME-Live image we build for PureOS: https://downloads.puri.sm/live/gnome/2019-02-10/

This will allow you to boot from the live image if you put it on a USB or a SD Card right into a working PureOS instance. Hereā€™s some instructions on how to do that: https://tracker.pureos.net/w/installation_guide/live_system_installation/

Any issues you encounter this forum can likely help you with, simply post here and Iā€™ll be on the lookout.

Godspeed

Just as a general tip I find useful for any future readers:
when installing an OS, I keep a separate /home partition. That way, itā€™s super easy to reinstall the OS at the root partition while keeping all my personal stuff (music, files, work stuff). This eliminates the need of re-copying all that data every time you want to try a new distro or just need to reinstall the OS to fix something that went wrong. You just need to tell the installer to use your existing /home partition as the /home partition for that install.

Of course, you should also keep /home backed up somewhere!

1 Like