Cannot Find Newly Installed Software in Software Manager

Umm…do you not know what the term “industry standards” means? MacOS is as different from Microsoft Windows as the East is from the West. Yet they both allow their users to accomplish their primary functions exclusively through the use of a GUI. I’m not asking that all Linux distos be identical. I’m asking that they implement generally accepted computing standards.

This…is quite the shocking fallacy. Nobody but nobody outside of Purism, SPC develops software for PureOS. In fact, rarely do people develop software for any specific Linux distro; not even major ones such as Mint or Ubuntu. Usually, they develop software for distro foundations: e.g. “Debian based” or “Fedora/Red Hat based”. This reply is a great example of just how toxic the Linux community really is. It’s shocking really. Even the Mac community isn’t this bad. :unamused:

I know, they start with the letters “ISO”, or “RFC” :slight_smile: Choose a cnvention and you’ll find a Linux distribution whose entire reason for existence is to not adhere to it. There’s no point asking otherwise, distributions are made of people, and people are different. Find your team and focus it on your priorities.

Random example: https://www.gog.com/de/game/pathfinder_kingmaker_imperial_edition “Linux (Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04)”

Another: https://pijul.com/manual/installing.html

On Debian:, On OSX:, On Arch Linux:, On openSUSE Tumbleweed:, On Void (Linux):

So no, software commonly does get packaged per-distribution.

But you do have a point: few people build stuff specifically for PureOS. That’s why I mentioned Flatpak and AppImage. Those are the projects that make it unnecessary to target a single distribution. Still, the burden of using them (correctly) lies on the third party, and only if that fails, then on PureOS.

Umm…you do realize there does not exist in all of Linuxdom a distro that allows you to do what you want entirely from the GUI, right? Sooner or later, you’re going to have to fall back on Linux’s gratuitous dependency on the command prompt. I mean, seriously dude. I wouldn’t be here if such a distro existed. :unamused:

You’re being a bit dishonest. Those programs are packaged as .deb files which can be installed on any Debian based distro including our very own PureOS. You’re acting like these programs can only be installed exclusively on a specific distro when that couldn’t be further from the truth (for example, I checked Pathfinder Kingmaker: Imperial Edition and found that it works flawlessly on Debian, Linux Mint, and Pop_OS).

Yeah, in a perfect world, everyone would use Flatpak. But they don’t, so we’re still stuck with the convention of having to deal with manual installation via .deb files. And PureOS goes out of its way to make it somewhat difficult to install software via .deb files.

I realize that there might not exist a distro that doesn’t allow you what you, a Windows power user want to do with a GUI. Thankfully, in Linuxdom, you have the 4 Freedoms widely enough that you can create a Linuxduchy where you can reach that goal. It’s not necessarily going to be PureOS though, we’re good here.

In my experience, this is very often indeed the case. If you try to request support for a crash on another distro coming from the mere ability to install the package, you’re counting on the author’s goodwill. But as a Linux newbie, you had no way to know that, so I’m taking no offense at your accusation of dishonesty.

There’s a difference between doing our own thing and going out of our way. The baseline and starting point in building a distribution is choosing to have 0 software. For a Debian-based one, Debian is the baseline, and Debian doesn’t have any graphical software manager other than PureOS does, as far as I can tell. Understandably, you may not like it, but there’s no malice on PureOS part, so keep that to yourself.

Power user by what standard? The only person who I’ve ever come across who’s called installing third party software a “power user” move is you: the only person on the planet who thinks this. I say installing third party software isn’t a “power user” move. Prove me wrong. I, on the other hand, have given you three examples (Windows, MacOS, Android) of operating systems where installing third party software is NOT considered a “power user” move.

If it’s open source software, then you’re always going to be counting on the author’s goodwill for ANY kind of bug support whether it’s made for a specific distro or not. So this isn’t a valid argument.

There is malice on PureOS part. They could be making the software vastly more user friendly, but they don’t. This is exactly the kind of toxic behavior the Linux community is famous for: it’s something not even Microsoft would do! Sure, they’ve made some decisions that even I have disagreed with. But at least they listen to feedback, and make changes based on that feedback (Windows 8 vs. Windows 10 being a good example). The Linux community refuses to even meet you halfway.

Amazing, considering that I didn’t even say this. I thought you complaned that you want to do everything by the GUI, including package management.

Are you serious, or are you just trying to argue? If it’s the latter, then let me know so that I can say good bye.

I didn’t realize Pathfinder: Kingmaker was open source software. Or are you just cherry-picking your examples? By the way, releasing open source in no way precludes lack of support.

You could help us make the software vastly more user-friendly, but you don’t. SlimJet could be packaging Flatpaks, but they don’t. Microsoft could release Windows as open source, but they don’t. How do you explain those examples of malice?

I’m getting an impression that you’re a little too sensitive about certain topics to accept that you’re not getting what you want unless you get your hands dirty and start contributing to the solutions to your problems (links above). Feedback is useful, but not nearly as useful as walking the walk. Unlike Windows, you’re not gated from participating, you’re encouraged (unless you exhibit a toxic attitude).

Its interesting to me to see someone so emphatically argue that “freedom” means “relying upon someone else to do something for me.”

2 Likes

BUT YOU DID SAY THAT!!! YOU F*CKING DID!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! You are such a toxic troll!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: Are you intentionally trying to piss me off by denying text that I can easily scroll up to and copy/paste in the same thread?? WELL CONGRATS! YOU SUCCEEDED! :man_facepalming:

Touche, you caught me being inconsistent. In that case, I’m going to settle on the definition of a “power user” for the purpose of this conversation meaning “someone installing third-party software”, plus “not the group PureOS goes out of its way to make their lives as easy as possible”. We can settle on a different name if you prefer.

Please note that ranting and calling people toxic trolls is against forum rules. For a more appropriate reaction, see me not blowing up after catching you contradicting yourself twice.

I found this whole thread really interesting reading, because it does illustrate the difficulties and frustrations of new Linux users. @Jack_Sparrow is being needlessly confrontational, but he does raise some valid issues, and I think that it is interesting to discuss them.

I agree with @Jack_Sparrow that PureOS should have Synaptic installed by default, because the graphical interface that PureOS provides for managing software is limited, and the command line tools (apt, dpkg, etc.) can be intimidating for new users. I personally find the command line liberating and only use it when installing software, but Purism is trying to market its products to people who want security/privacy, but aren’t necessarily experienced Linux users, so I think Purism should consider the perspective of people like @Jack_Sparrow.

The proper way to deal with this is to file an issue report at https://source.puri.sm/groups/pureos/-/issues and then see what the PureOS devs think, rather than arguing with random users on the forum.

@Jack_Sparrow is also right that it is a pain in the ass to install software which isn’t in the repositories of the Linux distribution that you are using. The people who design Linux distributions aren’t deliberately trying to make it hard to install software outside the repos, but this is what happens in the real world. The reality is that people who write desktop software go out of their way to create installers for Windows (and often for MacOS as well), but they rarely take the time to do the same for Linux. It is mostly the fault of the creators of the software applications (like Slimjet), but it is also partly the fault of the Linux community that it makes it difficult to distribute software for their platform outside of the distro’s repos, and Linux Torvalds has raised this point in the past.

The reality is that if application creators want Linux users to install their software, they can get it included in Snap, Flatpack or AppImage, and provide instructions for how to install it on their web site. I find it very frustrating that the Linux community hasn’t standardized on one method to install applications that are outside the distro’s repos, but that is the decentralized nature of Linux. There is no one authority like Microsoft or Apple to enforce one way of doing things. There have been 3 different initiatives to solve this problem, so we are stuck with 3 different competing methods. I wish that Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Red Hat, Canonical, SUSE, FSF, OSI and Linux Foundation would get together and say, “if you want to distribute your application for Linux outside the repos, then do it this way,” but these groups don’t coordinate. Most of the distros feel that software creators should take the time to package their code for inclusion in the distro’s repos.

There are over 300 Linux distros, but it isn’t that hard to get software packaged for the majority of desktop Linux users. If we can trust the hit count at distrowatch.org, roughly half of desktop Linux users are using the Debian family (Ubuntu, Mint, PureOS, etc) and roughly 25% use the Arch family (Manjaro, etc) and roughly 5% use the Fedora family and another roughly 5% use the openSUSE family, so an application creator can reach 85% of desktop Linux users by submitting their software for packaging to those 4 distros. I never got around to finishing my article on it, but I compiled the data from distrowatch.org between 2002 and 2016, which shows how much Linux tends to concentrate in just a few families (note that Arch has overtaken the rpm-based distros since 2016):

Packaging in distros is often not easy, because it means that the application creator has to separate out all the libraries that have been incorporated into the application. For example, I used to work at a company that never bothered to package its open source software in the distros, because it had incorporated about 20 different FOSS libraries in its code, and hadn’t bothered to update those libraries for years. We discussed trying to get the application into Debian and Fedora, but Debian and Fedora had recent versions of those libraries in their repositories and it would have taken a huge amount of work to update the application’s code to use those same libraries in the Debian and Fedora packages and then test the application in those two distros for clients, so we didn’t bother.

However, once an application creator has done the work to make his/her code packageable for one distro family, so it can use their versions of the libraries (i.e. dependencies), it usually isn’t that hard for volunteers at the other distro famiies to package the software for you.

Purism has made it a little more difficult than most other Linux distros to install software outside its repos, because it only accepts 100% free software in its repos, but most of the difficulty that @Jack_Sparrow has encountered is not Purism’s fault and it doesn’t really make sense to criticize Purism. Slimjet has a web page that explains how to install in Debian/Mint/Ubuntu which explains:

Note: In Ubuntu 20, directly opening the deb package with Software Install from browser won’t work. You need save it to a folder other than “tmp” folder first and then install it. If somehow Ubuntu Software Center fails to install it, you can install the deb package from command line using “sudo dpkg -i filename.deb”. After that, type “sudo apt-get -f install” to install any dependencies.

These instructions could have just as easily told the user to use gdebi-gtk to install the package and then use Synaptic to resolve the broken dependencies for people who want to use graphical tools, but many distros in the Debian family don’t install those tools by default so you have to install them, which is why the instructions revert to using command-line tools.

It is much easier to simply list the commands for people who run into problems, then trying to provide screenshots. After a while, you get used to how Linux works, and you realize that you can replace these commands in the terminal with graphical tools, but there are other distros like Mint which make it much easier for new users. I really think that @Jack_Sparrow would be much happier if he had started with Mint.

However, if the goal is to have the best privacy/security, then it is best to stick with the software in the PureOS Store for that purpose, and it seems really weird for @Jack_Sparrow to complain about lack of freedom in that context. It isn’t the fault of the PureOS devs that the makers of Slimjet haven’t taken the time to get their software packaged in Debian, and thus packaged in the PureOS repos.

2 Likes

@amosbatto Thank you for this post. I actually appreciate you taking the time to write it, and as such, I’ve taken the time to read it. I’d say you’ve correctly summed up this thread with 100% accuracy.

It’s interesting that you mentioned GDebi, because it’s a tool I just discovered today. If GDebi had been recommended to me as the very first reply to my original post, then this entire thread would have been completely avoided. With that being said, I would actually prefer that GDebi be included by default in PureOS MORE THAN even the Synaptic Package Manager. GDebi actually resolves 90% of the complaints I have with Linux, and now that I have this incredibly useful tool, I think I can start my Linux journey with PureOS being my “daily driver” operating system. I’m much more willing to give Linux a second chance now that GDebi is in my arsenal (I was just about to quit Linux forever after my last post which is why I wrote it with so much aggression: I didn’t care if I got banned from the forums. At that point, I thought I was never going to use Linux again). I just wish GDebi was recommended to me sooner, and it’s very unfortunate that we had to reach the very bottom of this thread before GDebi was mentioned for the very first time in this entire thread.

With that being said, I wish that the Administrator of this forum would retrain Moderators and Staff to encourage GDebi for newbie users such as myself right from the get-go. It would have completely eliminated most of my headaches and complaints with trying to run Linux for the very first time!

In conclusion, I’m going to mark your post as the “Solution”, and not just because you’ve taken the time to tackle the issues and frustrations involved with being a first-time Linux user, but also because yours is the only post which mentions GDebi in this entire thread which would absolutely be beneficial for new users to have!

Again, a HUGE Thank You for what you’ve written. I appreciate your empathy and sincerity.

1 Like

@Jack_Sparrow, Glad that you found a solution that works for you. In my experience, the Purism devs do listen to feedback if you file issue reports, so its worth filing a report asking GDebi to be included in the default install, so people don’t have to use the command line.

Linux is a great OS for many things, but it does have a learning curve and often requires doing Google searches to find solutions. After 22 years of using Linux, I have mostly forgotten how to use other OSes. I recently tried to use a computer with MacOS X, and I found myself having to relearn how to use a computer, so I get your frustration.