Can't use L5 after update!

phosh
phosh mobile
calls version 42.beta.0
calls version 42.beta.1

1 Like

I got those today. They downloaded and installed almost instantly, so that probably means theyā€™re very small.

You should be able to tap on each one, then scroll upwards to reveal its size. (At least you can do that for the already-installed apps. Calls, for instance, is only 1.4 Mb total installed.)

You shouldnā€™t have to worry if itā€™s not the kernel. OS updates have more room to grow and the OS itself doesnā€™t ever get significantly bigger. If you add a bunch of software thatā€™s one thing, but its a different thing.

2 Likes

I think that I will wait the OK of the Purism team before any update like @dos said at #132.

sudo apt upgrade phosh phosh-mobile-tweaks āˆ’āˆ’ and the other ones after you recognize them with: sudo apt list --upgradable. Or just write simple: sudo apt upgrade.

Only package that needs, just perhaps, to get smaller in size is this one: osk-sdl, @Marts just relax, nothing to really worry about, not at this point of time (even if related to upgrades over GUI, as you successfully bridged over ā€¦ actually as you use the very same advantages of PureOS as @amarok does, he just chose another approach to get there but you are at the same level/peak now). As described/shared with us within the second most important post within this thread from @joao.azevedo:

And as Iā€™ve learned hard way that there is no fear in love, like to share this advice toward you: ā€œMastering oneself makes you fearless.ā€ Purism Team is doing just about perfect job in every direction, think I :upside_down_face:. Therefore please differentiate, understand and accept recent kind advice, below one, as ā€œlife goes/moves on and onā€, just control it, rethink over if it is in your favor and if so join it, enjoy your life (and people that are or arenā€™t surrounding you ā€¦):

1 Like

I had the same problem. :sob: :sob: :sob:
How is possible that a disaster like this can happen with an update? I notice that the problem happened some days ago and I did the update some minutes ago. Why has the problem not been fixed immediately after the first warnings?
Iā€™m not a computer expert and the problem happened, at least for me itā€™s not easy to solve.
Can I follow the procedure (which one? I see many addsā€¦) using my desktop with Ubuntu distro?
Thanks to all for help.
If there is any italian user that can help me, I appreciate it a lot. :pray: :pray: :pray:

You need to tell us what distro and version you are running on the host computer from which you will be fixing your Librem 5.

If using Ubuntu then Step 1 will either work or fail depending on what version of Ubuntu you have. If you are running Ubuntu 21.04 (hirsute) or later then it will work. If you are running anything earlier then you should not proceed and should seek further advice.

If using Ubuntu then Step 7 needs to be sudo ./boot-purism-librem5.sh
i.e. add sudo in front of the command.

General advice for following the procedure in post #14

• follow it carefully and slowly
  • if you get any error or any output that does not match what it should be then stop and seek further advice

On account of this, I think it is best to ignore your questions about software development - and we will focus on attempting to get your Librem 5 up and running!

Iā€™m a developer with 30++ years on UNIX. That a kernel installer into such a small device does not check for free space and let you at the end with a non-boot-able system, is clearly a bug and should be fixed asap, even without waiting for an upstream fix. Or with a clear message to all users like ā€œbefore installing any kernel check for at least nnn free Mbytes below /bootā€.

2 Likes

[/quote]

You need to tell us what distro and version you are running on the host computer from which you will be fixing your Librem 5.

If using Ubuntu then Step 1 will either work or fail depending on what version of Ubuntu you have. If you are running Ubuntu 21.04 (hirsute) or later then it will work. If you are running anything earlier then you should not proceed and should seek further advice.

Iā€™m using Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTSā€¦

youā€™re totally right

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the exact same problem and just reflashed the phone following the instructions that can easily be found in this forum. The instructions are technical, yes, but thereā€™s nothing particularly difficult about them.

Coming from the software development field myself, I have to say that s**t like this simply just happens. Especially when you have a niche product, the revenue of which can only support a small test team. In this instance the update obviously wasnā€™t tested on a sufficiently ā€œmatureā€ phone and nobody was aware that space can run out when youā€™re performing many kernel updates in a row without reflashing. I canā€™t blame them, Iā€™ve had similar stuff happen on my watch. Hindsight is always 20/20.

In think it is important to point out that, while expensive, the L5 overall is by far the best privacy-focused Linux phone money can buy. IMHO, Purism has been doing an amazing job. Could they improve? Sure, but at the same time itā€™s obvious that you canā€™t expect the same perfection you see with devices that are produced in the millions (the revenue of which can support orders of magnitude larger development & testing teams).

3 Likes

So you have a problem then. Possible solutions that I can think of.

• Upgrade your Ubuntu. On the one hand, being more current is a good thing anyway. On the other hand, you may have a specific reason for wanting to stick with LTS (in which case you would be waiting until April, probably a little later, before being able to upgrade, and that isnā€™t likely to work in this scenario).
  • Install the latest Ubuntu on a portable drive.
  • Create a live bootable version of the latest Ubuntu on a portable drive (e.g. flash drive), choosing the ā€˜persistenceā€™ option. (This is probably faster and easier than the previous approach.) You use Startup Disk Creator for this.
  • Build uuu yourself using my instructions - which were specifically written originally for Ubuntu 20.04 so that could work well. https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Building-uuu-and-Jumpdrive (note: in this case there is no need to build Jumpdrive, you would only need to build uuu)
  • Find someone nearby who can do any of the above for you.
1 Like

Hi irvinewade,
first of all and regardless of I 'll able to solve the issue thank you very much for your help.
Iā€™ll try to download the latest version and create a live bootable version.
A question about: what is the ā€˜persistenceā€™ option?
Then Iā€™ll try to follow your instruction :pray:

It sets aside a portion of the space on the flash drive for use as permanent (persistent) storage, over and above the contents of the flash drive that are used for the live bootable image. Maybe it is the default these days.

Anyway, worst case if you have two flash drives then you could use one flash drive as the live boot and the other flash drive to hold the files that you download and unpack in Steps 2, 3 and 4 (which you can do on most versions of most distros i.e. you can do in advance on your existing version of Ubuntu).

@MV71, buongiorno, please reread this main post and start from the very first step:

P.S. I just guess here that uuu package might be available within your Linux distro as well:
$ apt list uuu

With 21.04 live Iā€™m facing a ā€˜problemā€™: following the instruction I got an error with:
sudo apt install libzip-dev
after reading the dependency, build the dependency root
I got
impossible to find libzip-dev package (translated from italian)
Is it possible that the name package for 21.04 is libzip4?
Solved
but an other issue:
doing the clone
git clone https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/librem5-devkit-tools.git
the terminal asks:
username for: 'https://source.puri.sm
and
passwordā€¦

Actually, Iā€™m wrong: I just noticed that the size of the packages available for download isnā€™t displayed here in the Store app.

Just for info, one way to see the size of the update first is to do it in the terminal:
sudo apt update && apt list --upgradable -a, then
sudo apt upgrade if there are updates found.
You will see how large each download will be.
(Donā€™t worry, you can still cancel the upgrade with ā€œNā€ when it asks you if you want to proceed.)

1 Like

Iā€™m able to git clone without entering a username/password on my PC (Debian bullseye). However, you can use these commands instead of git clone:

wget https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/librem5-devkit-tools/-/archive/pureos/byzantium/librem5-devkit-tools-pureos-byzantium.tar.gz
tar -xzf librem5-devkit-tools-pureos-byzantium.tar.gz
cd librem5-devkit-tools-pureos-byzantium
1 Like

buongiorno a te, sono utente italiano da Brescia e se posso aiutarti, volentieri.
Tieni anche conto che cā€™ĆØ una discussione aperta sul forum di Debianizzati:
https://forum.debianizzati.org/viewtopic.php?t=56325

2 Likes

Ciao pure_fede, felice di leggerti.
Sto provando a seguire il percorso di irvinewade ma sto incontrando diversi problemi con error.
Io sono di Trento.
Al momento non sono molto fiducioso di riuscire a risolvere il problema da soloā€¦
Se tu sei in grado posso pure mettermi in macchina e venire giu a Brescia a portartelo per metterlo a postoā€¦ sono cose troppo tecniche per meā€¦