Case for Librem 5?

Why not go the whole hog and use d³ ?

To take it a bit more seriously, file extensions seem to be chosen so that they work on the widest possible range of systems, rather than relying on support for 8-bit ISO Latin 1 characters (as above) or Unicode characters, and whether some particular character might have a special meaning in some shell or operating system.

As you point out, superscript would not be supported.

Yes they choose the widest possible support among all character sets. I remember the teletype days when mil coms were all caps. They were loathe to go lower case until the majority of systems also supported lower case. (I imagine someone had to program an upshift table for systems that had not yet converted.)

I also remeber typing on a manual mill.

1 Like

Back to the topic at hand: has anyone else printed / had any of these printed by a service? What do you think? What materials did you use, what precision, what colors, price etc.? How did you like them? Pics?

1 Like

I tried to order it to be printed from I.materialise.com but they said it would be to thin on the sides and canceled my order… so if anyone can recommend a site that will print the rubber model that @fiacco posted the .stl file for (and maybe which materials should be selected) it would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

I can imagine. 3D printing is dependent on the print material, I don’t think they have yet to do commercial 3D printing with that can handle much stress. (There may be methods in the military/industrial complex however.)

It is unlike the chemical bonding you get with plastic (includng rubber) molding. Then there is the first article, whice is usually machined on aluminum. But since you’re only talking about a one-off, a first article is all you’re going to get! (Which would cost about as much as the phone itself.)

Cheap solution? Find one of those thick rubber bands you get around fresh aperagus or broccoli.

1 Like

Hello, I received the improved version of the flexible TPU case (see the picture where I twist it). And I have to say that I am satisfied with it compared to the prototype.
For those who are wondering, it’s a TPU Multijet process with a chemical treatment finish.

The point of improvement is the one I already imagined at the time: there is still a gap of 2mm vertical and 1mm or 2mm horizontal. It’s not a scandal because the phone holds in place but it is not firmly held in the shell. For the rest the holes are aligned, the thickness is much thinner than before and it doesn’t feel like it tears easily. Here are some pictures with comparison between prototype and @fiacco improvements, hoping that @fiacco can help us to update the STL file for a final version :

In any case, a HUGE thanks to @fiacco and all to all those who helped to improve the concept.

15 Likes

Nice look. Can you share how much was the printing cost and what were the material specs, as there are multiple hardness levels (as posted)? Is it just just soft or also flexible? And what do you think, is the case edge enough on top and over the phones edge to hold it - it’s good with the hard case but does the material have any effect on that grip?

Sure, no problem, but I’m a little bit confused: no doubt the dimensions of the STL file match those of the phone, so I don’t understand where the 2 mm gaps come from. Probably the printer introduces an error, let’s hope it is repeatable and, therefore, predictable at least.

Thank you, please find my reply (at least what I know) :

• printing cost is around 55€, it is finally not as expensive as some prices on the market, especially since it is not mass produced.
  • material specs : Multijet Fusion TPU with Chemical smoothing finish, more specs below :
  • the case is flexible, as you can see on the below picture, I can literally twist it and it comes back to its initial shape :
  • The top edge (which surrounds the screen) is thick enough to protect the screen (although there is always a risk of breakage). Now, the problem is that there is a gap which doesn’t allow the shell to hold the L5 very firmly (and therefore, the edges “loosen” a bit, increasing the risk of poor screen protection). That’s why I insist on this point.
  • Finally, the grip is great, it doesn’t slip, but it’s not too grippy either.

It’s still possible. But my understanding is that this company prints for car manufacturing parts, medical shoes, etc. I think their machines are really accurate. Maybe the problem is somewhere else : for rigid case like @JR-Fi , the STL file is perfect, but for flexible case, maybe the material change proprieties after cooling or maybe holes in the case lead to loosen areas around the screen. With the printer company I use, I can say that :

• from jack audio to USB-C port, you can decrease easily by 2 mm,
  • from kill switches to volume buttons, you can easily decrease by 1 mm (and maybe more)
2 Likes

It might be a good idea to make it stretch a little bit to conform to the phone. Perhaps to prevent the case growing loose over time.

2 Likes

Hello, this is a good remark. Actually, the TPU flexible case is stretch, this is why I ask to reduce it by a few mm.

I have stuck a screen protector and due to the 2.5D shape of the screen, the screen protector does not cover the screen from end to end: there is the whole part of the screen in relief that is not covered by the protective glass.

As the shape of the shell is a bit loose, I’m not sure that this raised area is protected depending on the angle of fall because the shell could retract instead of playing its role of shock absorber.

Another point (this time very positive): the 3 holes on the back that @fiacco made on the STL file play their role very well! I can feel the heat released by the smartphone (Wifi module?) through these holes, the rest of the shell remaining cool, so it’s a very good thing to have kept them on the STL.

1 Like

So should I decrease 2 mm on Y axis and 1 mm on X axis or more? And how much more? I’m completely blind on this.

1 Like

Hello, I don’t have an accurate ruler to measure this but this is my understanding based on my feeling.
Thus, it should be not easy to insert the phone into the case (meaning the phone is firmly hold by the case).
If somebody wants to test the new dimensions, I would be glad to hear the review !

I think that we need to rethink this shape for the stretchy case: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Pyramid.svg. My thought is based on definition that: “a square has four right angles and four equal sides”, therefore we need to help @fiacco to decrease openings to angle below 90 degree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Right_angle.svg. Probably 88 degree (or perhaps 87 degree) angle will do for the Librem 5 TPU case? Bottom part measure should stay the same. Just my very first thought as just received this rubber without cooling holes, made from Stratasys FDM TPU-92A:

That is all for now. Thank you @@fiacco!

4 Likes

Why are phones square? It could be circular like an old fashioned ladies compact. You can use the selfie camera as a mirror to put make up and the rouge could be in the bottom half of the tin. (This is humor.)

3 Likes

I don’t see a picture from face, so please could you tell me if your case does hold well the phone (as you can see I have a gap) ?
I like you case too (do not forget the holes, they really have a role, I was skeptical, but today I can say it does help for cooling).
Thank you !

1 Like

It is late here now so just some simple picture below (I need some daily light for the other ones). Also it is that I’m even more satisfied with this case today … it was made on professional 3D device Stratasys F170 and probably therefore no significant gap present. What I think today is that we need more “meat” around the screen, actually around upper openings to protect more mentioned screen and stabilize sides of used TPU (although material used have shore A value of 92) for case.

NOTE: This is the very first 3D print (draft) from Stratasys authorized representative and I’ll try to make .stl file for the next rubbery case better (this will take some time). Also, I’ll take a look at current case dimensions but cannot comment on those before that. Anyway, just like to repeat it looks like that here related case dimensions are all right (max. gap might be of 0.4 mm, but need to proof this, not sure at the moment to confirm anything).

8 Likes

Woah, there is no gap at all, this is really good !

3 Likes

@Quarnero ok I am sold this looks amazing… I just need help in figuring how to pay some $ and get one of these cases in my hands since I have not 3d printer access…

1 Like

I do not have 3D printer either. And at the moment I cannot order another TPU case for myself because it was very kind favor toward myself from someone that makes professional 3D printing, just a small excursion “trip” for them, but very lucky one for my Librem 5 and I’m therefore thankful to them. Let us see what future will bring (and if I manage to get one reliable address for 3D printing within EU, I’ll let you know @netnut404, actually would like to share with everyone such address here, and/or vice versa get another reliable 3D printing address).

1 Like