Change text in post "Librem 5 Software Updates March 2020 Part 1"

I’m really impressed by all the progress being made on power management, since it is such a hard problem and involves so many different parts.

I noticed something that is confusing in the post “Librem 5 Software Updates March 2020 part 1” by David Hamner (Hackersgame), that should be corrected in my opinion.

When I read this text:

You can see, that the power draw goes down as the kernel version rises. From version 5.1 to 5.12, we see about a 10% improvement in heat, 30% improvement in battery draw, and a 90% improvement in load average.

I assumed that it was saying that power management has improved from Linux kernel 5.1 to 5.12, but kernels 5.8 - 5.12 don’t yet exist, so I was confused.

I think this text change will make the post much clearer:

The power draw has improved by a number of changes in the Linux kernel. Between releases 5.1 and 5.12 of the Librem 5’s software, we see about a 10% improvement in heat, a 30% improvement in battery draw, and a 90% improvement in load average.

1 Like

Hello,

Basically, you are just proposing to replace “from … to …” with “between … and …”, it doesn’t change very much.

Your sentence is more confusing to me: “The power draw improved” did you just said it draws more power ?
Of course you didn’t, but you put a “bad” thing as the subject of a positive verb
In my opinion, the way the original is written is much nicer and does not contain this possible micro-confusion.

Also, I don’t understand when you say “versions 5.8 - 5.12 don’t exist yet” :

• The graph just before the paragraph shows lines for each versions 5.1 to 5.12
  • The link in the paragraph refers to all versions between 5.1 and 5.12 of the Librem 5 softwares (5.8 included)
  • The Linux kernel lastest version is 5.5.13 : https://www.kernel.org/

I’m so confused by your post :rofl:

The current mainline Linux kernel being worked on is version 5.7.
The reason why the original text is confusing is because most readers will assume that it is talking about the mainline Linux kernels, which is obviously not what David Hamner is referring to, which is why the text should be changed.

I assume that David Hamner is talking about Purism’s custom kernels in the Librem 5 releases, not the mainstream Linux kernels.

I assume that Purism takes a recent mainline Linux kernel and adds its custom changes to those kernels in its Librem 5 releases. Then, it works on getting those changes upstreamed to the mainline kernel. (Someone who has more knowledge please correct me, if that isn’t how it works.)

1 Like

oh… ok I understand better now, your main problem is the confusion about the Linux Kernel version and the Librem5 software version

What about this ? :

You can see, that the power draw goes down as the kernel version rises. From version 5.1 to 5.12 of the Librem 5 software, we see about a 10% improvement in heat, 30% in battery draw, and a 90% in load average.

When I read that, I am going to think that the graph refers to Linux kernel versions, and I will still be confused.

Okay ! One other small change then :

You can see, that the power draw goes down as the version of the Librem 5 software rises. From 5.1 to 5.12, we see about a 10% improvement in heat, 30% in battery draw, and a 90% in load average.

Yes, I assume the same. But if things need to be assumed, as they are not even self-explanatory within this Forum, how they can be self-explanatory to the World? Might be that some of us “know” that “we” are talking about Kernel version 5.3 (link shows 5.3.0), but still someone needs to or might try to understand that this thread is about misleading info and not about something that is self-explanatory. This culture of understanding refers to any language and not just to English (as referencing case here). I eat my words more than often when speaking, but with writing I’m at least trying to read carefully over things that I just wrote (same applies when not using my native language).

And, if helps, I’m even not trying to be understood here! Still, please understand that this what @amosbatto asks is not something off-topic in any way, something that might or should be ignored. If some of us cannot build some kind of Linux phone, we should at least understand what it is about, starting from chosen BOM/components, etc. in order to reach some goals (as expected). As well, opposite reaction of someone to something, IMO, is not something that is just born today, it is something that already grows up for some time now, this Forum wise, as self-explanatory. To be clear, intention of the here-mentioned main article is very welcomed and therefore it is, as well, welcomed, at least from my side, what is asked for (in this thread): that the particular part of it can be understood, as referred to, as requested with good and precise intentions.

“… as Librem 5 (custom) Kernel 5.3 versions rise (up) toward Kernel 5.4.” Ah, I see, I’m not the author … so my kind of correction here is equal to zero.

P.S. On the other (positive) side, I doubt there is anything to be corrected within articles (news) about Purism’s contributions to Linux 4.20, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5 and 5.6.

1 Like