Chat registration for non-librem.one users

The librem.one homepage say “you can communicate with people inside or outside the librem.one domain”. Great, I’d like to migrate the video chats with my elderly parents to Librem Chat. I’m testing it out myself first (phone <=> laptop) to ensure usage is simple enough for them to handle.

After logging into Librem Chat on my phone via my librem.one account, I send an invitation to a non-librem.one email address, and the resulting email (accessed on my laptop) contains a link to a guest account at riot.im . That web page presents “Join the conversation with an account [ Sign Up ] [ Sign In ]” . I click on “Sign Up”, and get a “Create your account” with 3 choices: Free/matrix.org doesn’t seem right (I want the librem.one server); ditto for Premium/modular, so I pick Advanced/Other, and get prompted for my “custom homeserver URL”. librem.one can’t be reached, but trying chat.librem.one seems to make progress.

At this point I get stuck: riot displays the message “Registration has been disabled on this homeserver” in red, and prompts for a “custom identity server URL” defaulted to vector.im. Any suggestions on how to get unstuck, and/or pointers to documentation that can help?

(The following is intended as constructive criticism, the goal being to increase adoption.) The experience above is extremely complicated/confusing for elderly parents. I might be able to talk them through a one-time account setup - an FAQ entry would help tremendously - but regular usage has got to be drop-dead simple for them: no harder than “visit this bookmarked URL”; even an additional “enter your username & password” will be pushing it if the credentials can’t be cached in the browser. I had them on matrix.org for a while, but they couldn’t remember their credentials, so we switched over to whereby.com (so that all they have to do is visit a bookmarked URL which goes straight to my room - no login).

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @laubster. It’s a known bug but we do appreciate the reminder about it.