Chatty and storage of messages

Where and in which format Chatty stores the messages. I want to pull some of them into files, even if it would be in XML. Thanks

1 Like

/home/purism/.purple/chatty/db/chatty-history.db

It takes a while to load (when opening with Text Editor).

Properties:
unknown type (application/octet-stream)

See: https://isotropic.co/what-is-octet-stream/
And: https://file.org/extension/db - and - https://fileinfo.com/extension/db

5 Likes

Thanks for the location; better to read with

printf 'select time, body from messages\n' | sqlite3 ~/.purple/chatty/db/chatty-history.db
1656974576|Die Aufbuchung  von 10.00 € war erfolgreich, Ihr neues Guthaben beträgt 13.62 €. 

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am in the process of getting my L5 on track to be somewhat used as a daily driver. I was using Chatty this weekend to test out its functionality and I forgot to charge my phone last night and the battery ran itself down and shut the phone off before I got up this morning. I discovered that all of my text messages in the GUI were gone. I was able to find my MMS attachments in the .local/chatty directory. Is this normal for Chatty to clear all messages after a power cycle? Its pretty inconvenient to not be able to follow a continued conversation from days before without a record of the dialect. Is there something that can be done to have persistence in Chatty like Calls will lists all the calls you previously made? There was nothing in the man pages or help files that would allow for persistence of any kind.

I think it is not normal.

Check the MySQL database, if the records are still there (see post #3 in this thread how to do so). If the records aren’t there, then they got lost perhaps due to the unclean shutdown on power-drain.

Thanks for the info on the database and sorry it took so long to reply as I have limited time to tinker with the phone. The messages were there in the database just not displayed in the app. I am looking for something a bit more persistent that will keep the messages displayed in Chatty regardless if a power cycle or battery going dead. Don’t get me wrong. Its nice to know how to pull up these messages with MySQL. When I swap out my spare battery while on the move(in which I properly power down before hand if I anticipate the battery running out of juice) or just simply power it down to put it away until my next moment of free time comes to tinker, it would be nice to be able to open Chatty and see all of my text messages that have not been deleted by me whenever I properly power down the phone. I did a test and restarted the phone using the power menu and through the CLI command and sure enough all of my messages that were displayed in Chatty are no longer there. Is this a privacy or security feature to removes all messages displayed in Chatty when I power the phone down? Is there a config file somewhere that I am not seeing to leave the messages in Chatty instead of clearing them out every time the phone is turned off? Am I the only one having this problem?

I’d file a bug issue. If the messages a there in the database, Chatty should show them.

1 Like