Clipit does not work

I just switched from my old notebook to my new Librem13 running PureOS and I can’t get one functionality back I’d really need: I can’t get clipit working which I used on my old notebook:

user@system:~$ clipit
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 15
Current serial number in output stream: 15

Basically any clipboard manager would be welcome that

• does not save data to disk
  • synchronizes the CTRL-C/CTRL-V-clipboard with the x11-mouse-marking-clipboard
  • does have configurable hotkeys

Just guessing here but on your new Librem you are running under Wayland, which I’m not sure if it supports clipboard managers (yet, ever?) for security reasons. You can log using X instead from the login screen by selecting the little settings icon by your username and selecting I believe “GNOME on Xorg” or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @lo0 - that pointed me in the right direction. The only thing I found (usable) for wayland/gnome is clipboard indicator.

Though I didn’t find out, yet, whether it saves to disk or not. The ‘Max cache file size (kb)’ setting for me indicates it does save to a file and I wouldn’t like that.

1 Like

Rightly so. Disk encryption does mitigate that somewhat.

This is a serious issue because if you use a separate password manager, you may find yourself cutting and pasting passwords from the password manager to things that need passwords e.g. mail clients, web browsers.

1 Like

Since there hasn’t been a solution I really liked I’m using Xorg with parcelite. I’m a bit stuck there.

I’d like to switch to wayland to go back to the PureOS default installation and to be compatible to Mobian and PureOS/Phoc/Phosh on Librem5.

Does anybody use a clipboard manager under wayland which has some or all of the following features:

• does not save data to disk
  • synchronize default and primary clipboard
  • is able to invoke commands on the actual contant of the clipboard
  • is able to invoke commands on content in its maintained history

No news to this topic?

Meanwhile found https://github.com/yory8/clipman and still need to try it. If anybody has experience with clipman it would be really nice to share them :wink: