Command hanging - trying to get Proton Bridge to work in Vivaldi Browser on PureOS Librem 14

I’m trying to get ProtonMail set up in Vivaldi Browser (using Proton Bridge) on PureOS and found a post (linked below) where someone explained how to do it in Ubuntu. I tried the same thing in PureOS, but it seemed the process broke down at the end. I’m wondering if someone can read my explanation of what I tried and the command outputs and let me know what might work or what I’m doing wrong.

My detailed question can be found at the following link as the “Reply” to the main post - my username on that forum is “Insights”

Thank you!

1 Like

You ran sudo cat cert.pem key.pem > protonMail.pem, which may have caused the output file to require root permissions to access it using Vivaldi.

1 Like

Thank you. OK. What would you suggest I run / do differently to get this to work?

1 Like

Delete the current protonMail.pem, regenerate it without prepending sudo, then perform the certutil command again:

sudo rm protonMail.pem
cat cert.pem key.pem > protonMail.pem
certutil -d sql:$HOME/.pki/nssdb -A -t "CT,C,c" -n "protonBridge.localhost"
-i protonMail.pem

Thank you. I tried your suggestion. I confirmed that the protonMail.pem was removed and readded. When I run the certutil command, it just hangs - see screenshot. Any other ideas?

1 Like

Open Vivaldi and go to vivaldi://settings/certificates. If the self-signed certificate is there under the Authorities tab, remove it, then rerun the certutil command.

Sorry to be the noob here, but not sure how to tell if a certificate is the “self signed” one you are referring to or something I should leave alone. I am providing a screenshot of the certificates I have listed. Can you tell me if I should delete one or both of these?

1 Like

The self-signed certificate is named org-Proton AG, so if is not listed, you have two options:

1. Press the Import button and select protonMail.pem, then open Vivaldi Mail.
  2. Uninstall and reinstall Vivaldi, then refollow the instructions from the beginning without any potentially breaking changes.

You are brilliant! Thank you! This is huge for Pure OS users who would like to consolidate their Proton email accounts with other email accounts. If you don’t want to use Thunderbird, then Vivaldi Mail is a great option, and I’ve been testing this solution for a few days now with ProtonBridge and it’s worked perfectly.

1 Like