Comparing specs of upcoming Linux phones

The problem is that free accounts in Wordpress.com don’t allow uploading .ods files (but do allow .xlsx files). However, I have uploaded the file to one of my VPS’s, so you can download it now in an OpenDocument format:
http://80.255.11.219/amos/ComparingLinuxPhones.ods

(Technically, XLXS is an open format if you don’t mind MS corrupting the standardization process and using binary blobs. :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

I noticed that too - but then if we want people to adopt Linux phones then we want to reach people for whom LibreOffice formats would not work out-of-the-box.

On that score, perhaps there should be an HTML version available on the web.

Yes, it has a documented standard.

I suspect what goes wrong though is that the standard is so complex that in many little corner cases the standard is open to interpretation and effectively in those scenarios Microsoft’s implementation defines the standard, not the standards document itself.

4 Likes

One of the noteworthy things that really stood out from the spreadsheet is the sheer number of Linux distributions using Phosh. Even if the Librem 5 crashes and burns, which I don’t believe it will do, Purism will have made a huge and lasting impact on the ecosystem and community with Phosh. Kudos!

15 Likes

…and Phoc and libhandy…

4 Likes

You are, of course, correct. Phosh is the “shiny thing”… and I was dazzled.

Librem 5 GPU can be clocked 800MHz at 0.9V and 1000MHz at 1.0V. We don’t have DVFS for GPU implemented yet, so right now it’s limited to 800MHz.

2 Likes

I’m betting that feedbackd also becomes a thing in other distros or hardware from other companies in the future too. Something as simple as a blinking indicator light can have a lot of appeal.

Maybe you could add manufactured units numbers to this table… Well… estimates…

UBports said in one of its monthly reports that there were 4000 to 4500 units shipped of the PinePhone CE: Ubports. In her CCC presentation last year, Nicole Faerber said that Purism’s goal was to produce 10k units of the Librem 5. We don’t have any other information about production numbers of the two phones.

Then I would say:
Estimated manufactured units:
Librem 5: tens (or hundreds? doesn’t seem so many)
Pinephone: at least 4000 (or thousands)

Any proper guess is better than nothing.

I can’t understand this secrecy. Maybe they need to hide some numbers of what they are going to produce so they could negociate better, but why do they need to hide the numbers of what they have produced so far??? That’s so lame…

Isn’t the manufactured units number going to be perpetually out of date?

Specs are fixed - until the next model comes out. This topic is attempting to compare specs.

Could well be around 10000 by now.
What we don’t know is, how many Purism will put on stock and whether they made some deals with companies who take hundreds or thousands.

I would like to see what have been build so far, not pre-orders/goals.

Yes, you are right. But I see no harm in adding built unit numbers to this fairly complete comparation. I think that every interested user would like to know them and they could very well learn them here alongside other info. The numbers can be updated from time to time… A timestamp can be specified.

If the numbers are lower than some customer thinks it ought to be (if, for instance, production is slow in the beginning and the gets faster over time, as has been stated) someone WILL start announcing that Purism won’t be able to meet their shipping deadline and go all over the internet telling people to cancel their order because they’ve only produced X phones when it should be Y phones, which would require Purism explaining their manufacturing process and going into a whole bunch of details they shouldn’t have to which will open the door for MORE speculation and the cycle would continue.

It ultimately boils down to impatience. The phones will come, and there’s no evidence to the contrary because a lack of evidence is not itself evidence. Sometimes, you’re just gonna have to wait.

6 Likes

There are now twelve phones in the comparison too. That’s a lot of work for someone chasing down sales numbers that companies don’t necessarily publish.

Who needs customers that cancel orders based on rumors? Especially in the beginning.

If I were Purism I would be very proud to say that I built 1, or 2, or 20 Aspen devices, 40 Birch, etc… very proud of my work and my partners, and I would let anybody know about it.
Again, I’m taking here about what’s happened already, not what’s coming. I pre-ordered 2 years ago… I know how to wait. And I’m happy for every progress Purism has. Hope they share it more with us. Ok, enough with me going off-topic. I rest my case.

It ultimately boils down to impatience. The phones will come, and there’s no evidence to the contrary because a lack of evidence is not itself evidence. Sometimes, you’re just gonna have to wait.

Agree, and by the way I enjoy this process where I feel connected to the dev process on this forum. I learn new things every time and my expectations are raising. Of course I cannot wait to have the real phone in my hands, but the road to it is also a lot of fun.

4 Likes

I think another “reason to buy” Librem 5 should be that Purism develops both hardware and software. Therefore the users should expect a better, smoother experience, more reliable device as well as better safety.

P.S. I don’t think it is necessary to list the updates in the main post. It’s already very long. Comments explaining what’s updated should be enough in my opinion.

What do you make of the obvious security risk of Chinese designed and manufactured chips?

This is offtopic here (we are comparing GNU/Linux phones). I suggest to start a new topic with this question.

2 Likes