Comparing specs of upcoming Linux phones

Recommended by Snowden: https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1308450536711168001

1 Like

As I was looking through old posts on this topic, I saw something about the PureOS Store. I didn’t even realize that was thing, but it makes sense, so I decided to browse. It’s nice to see how many apps are out there already. Now, I’m even more excited for Evergreen. For video and audio playback, I’m normally a VLC guy, but I’m sure mplayer will do just fine. I want to see what it’s like on a handheld device. The only thing I might miss is my EV charging app, ChargePoint, but I’m sure I can learn to live without it.

2 Likes

And underpowered to the max. I don’t know about others, but I like my security with a side of modern compute. I don’t like it to mean I’m back in the stone age.

But, different strokes for different folks.

only for that particular device … the device in question seems to be purpose built for 100% digital-transparency and not much else …

the idea is you get to pick one: modern compute, or security.

@amosbatto the T1 modem will be available:

1 Like

Thanks @joao.azevedo. I updated the table to add the new modem.

that table seems a bit inaccurate in a few places. Video out on USB-C is not limited to 1080p, cameras are not using MIPI CSI but parallel interface, not sure how to interpret meaning of 4 channels in the codec (it’s a stereo codec, so mostof the paths have 2 channels, L/R and number of inputs/outputs is way larger - in the range of 20 or so), also it’s not limited to 48kHz, but to to 192kHz.

(From https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25137616. )

Your link has “).” on the end.

Edit: Link has been fixed.

1 Like

Thanks, corrected. Not my fault though.

2 Likes

Um, they must be talking about some other device. The L5 has both cameras on MIPI-CSI2 https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next/-/merge_requests/255

Perhaps megous meant Pinephone, not Librem 5, since he is one of its community developers. His website: https://xnux.eu/devices/pine64-pinephone.html.

I think one could also add to the table the information that it’s possible to use Librem 5 but not Pinephone without a battery.

Also, PinePhone boots from the microSD card by default (if it’s bootable), but not Librem 5.

1 Like

I asked megous to clarify what he means by a “parallel interface” on Hacker News.

The “2.7. Image In” section on page 10 of the A64 Datasheet calls MIPI CSI a “8bitYUV422 CMOS sensor parallel interface”, so I’m not sure if he is referring to that parallel interface or something else.

2.7. Image In
CSI
•Support 8bitYUV422 CMOS sensor parallel interface
•Support CCIR656 protocol for NTSC and PAL
•Maximum still capture resolution to 5M
•Maximum video capture resolution to 1080p@30fps

I see that I was mixing up inputs/outputs and channels for the PinePhone. The A64 supports 4 inputs and 4 outputs, but only two channels in the DAC and ADC. The DAC supports 8 - 192 kHz, but the ADC only supports 8 - 48 kHZ. OK, I’ll clarify that in the table.

1 Like

This may be correct. Looking at the pin description on page 24 of the datasheet, it shows 8 data pins (CSI_D0 … CSI_D7) so maybe it really is interfacing with the camera via a parallel interface (at least as far as the receiving end is concerned). So calling it "CSI " is potentially confusing …

I suspect that the A64 is using the MIPI Camera Parallel Interface (CPI), but calling it the MIPI Camera Serial Interface (CSI). This is really confusing, but I am simply repeating what the A64 docs say.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I added that info under “Battery” and “External Storage”.

2 Likes

storage microSD (SDHC, SDXC, max 2 TB), bootable

I would write like that:

storage microSD (SDHC, SDXC, max 2 TB), has first boot priority

I added Evergreen info and amarok’s Evergreen photos. I included Megous’ info on the PinePhone. I also added an “Included in the box” section to the table, with info on the Power Delivery charger

I left it as “bootable”, but linked to the PinePhone wiki that explains how to make it bootable, which I think will be less confusing.

two microphones? that’s an interesting info/spec.