New Post: Librem 5 4500mAh Battery Upgrade

Oh, I think the beef is fair because that isn’t the real question. You’re talking about the blame, not the problem.

Linux hardware support is a concern. And while the blame certainly is on the hardware manufacturers’ docket, it doesn’t mean that Linux hardware support isn’t a concern.

To the end user it is and it is a significant concern in many cases.

The situation is no different with Windows. When Windows doesn’t work well, it is 9 times out of 10 a driver issue. That Windows has the support of the hardware manufacturers is what Linux needs to still do.

Until then, this will always be a Linux problem.

Of course companies like System76 and Purism are working to fix that.

But the way Linux is marketed to a lot of people is that it just works on whatever old hardware you got laying around.

So I think the beef is fair.

3 Likes

After reading your response, I think you’re right.

1 Like

unbeef the beef then :joy:

So maybe the problem is with marketing, not with Linux? And who is marketing Linux this way?

And I’m thinking that it is possible to swap the batteries without powering off the phone just by plugging in the charger during the swap…

4 Likes

Yes, it is possible. You can even power the whole phone entirely from powerful enough charger with no battery at all.

11 Likes

I would only recommend getting a spare battery if this basically is how you intend to use the phone i.e. keep a spare fully-charged battery at all times and when the installed battery is almost empty, swap to the spare - so you double the number of hours that you can operate for.

However I wasn’t clear on whether there is any easy way of charging a battery outside of the phone i.e. a standalone charger.

1 Like

Librem 5: baby seals quiver in fear! :joy:

i’m having a hard time figuring out if i’ll need to plug it in the UPS or not …

where i am currently located, the electrical grid is unstable sometimes. what built-in electrical protections does the L5 have if, for instance, one were to NOT plug it in the UPS when in convergence mode ?

1 Like

Whatever protection it has will not be on par with a UPS, I would guess. So use the UPS if you have to protect your appliances against the grid.

2 Likes

yes. that, and the fact that this IS an expensive appliance !

I too was wondering about this. If someone buys a secondary battery, how would it get charged? I certainly don’t want to use the phone as a charger.

2 Likes

Those are two rather important pieces of information from use perspective. Should be made know in the official FAQ and manual (if not already).

1 Like

I would buy a spare battery, and I recommend everyone to do that because:

• free shipping as it would come with the pre-ordered package.
  • only Purism make them
  • easy swapping
  • fast charging affects the batteries, having two of them helps prolonging their life
  • convenience having a spare fully-charged battery around
  • it’s not that expensive… I guess

@Kyle_Rankin, can we pre-order the spare battery (and other accesories) so to be sure you have them on stock at the moment our phone’s shipping time arrives? It can give you an idea of your stock needs too.

2 Likes

Yes, here: https://shop.puri.sm/product-category/phones/accessories-phones/

In the shipping confirmation email we are sending out, we also point people to that page and if they placed an order for accessories we ask them to share the order # with us so we can link the two orders together and ship them at the same time.

3 Likes

But will it work for Europe? AFAIK I cannot order a battery from the US, right?

So, if I got it right then I order the battery now and pay for the shipping. Purism will not ship my order as yet.
When I receive my Librem 5 order confirmation email, I mention my order number for the battery, my Librem 5 and battery orders will be combined into one package and shipped. Purism will then revert back the shipping payment I make for the battery order.

Did I get everything right?

3 Likes

Yes! That’s exactly right. Just to prevent any confusion it probably also wouldn’t hurt if you mentioned in the order comments field that you’d like this to ship with your Librem 5 order.

5 Likes

Will there be or does somebody make a compatible standalone charger?

$50 shipping cost to Romania for one battery. Auch!.. If I add to the cart also an SD card the shipping cost become $64. Even if these money are returned to me, the non-negligible currency conversion costs and possible lock on this sum for a few months until my phone ships make me not to pre-order now the accessories.

Maybe this process can be simplified… like using special coupons on order, or a special shipping item… Or maybe it just not worth the trouble.

1 Like