Comparing specs of upcoming Linux phones

Please don’t take over another topic talking about personal disrespects and offenses again! The post-axe is ready.

3 Likes

FYI, PMIC BD71837MWV will be obsoleted once BD71837AMWV will be launched by October 2019.

I updated the table in the first post of this thread, that compares the specs of the PinePhone vs Librem 5.

Is anyone interested in me adding the Planet Computers Cosmo and the Volla Phone to the comparison?

4 Likes

Interested? Yes. Would I buy one? No.

I think it would add to the completeness of the topic.

4 Likes

I am :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m actually more interested in getting the MEGAphone added to the list. It’s a portable version of the MEGA64, which is an open hardware implementation of the 6502 8bit microprocessor and a peripheral stack compatible with the old Comodore 64/65 computers. The prototype phone is built and (mostly) working, and the preorders for the first 100 full size MEGA64s closed like a week day ago.

It’s a hobby/research project, so no super firm timeline, but Purism could sure learn a thing or two about how to write good progress updates from it. Anyway, if it gets cheap enough to afford (current unit price is somewhere around $1000), and small enough to carry (current prototype is actually not too terrible), I’ll probably buy one.

That said, at present, it doesn’t quite qualify as a linux phone, on account of running a microkernel, without protected mode, and not even having a complete standard C library (it mostly uses BASIC). There are future plans, however, to include an add-in card running a conventional ARM processor, which would likely run Linux, and have filtered access to the hardware (the 6502 is simple enough you can fully audit it, personally, so it gets ultimate control over the hardware, for privacy and security).

2 Likes

I added a “Reasons to buy” and a “Privacy & security” section to the table in the first post. PinePhone advocates can argue over whether I’m biased, but I got feedback on the Pine64 forum that people don’t just buy phones for their specs, and I needed to add other reasons for buying the two Linux phones.

1 Like

Nice! :slight_smile:

I would also consider the PinePhone to be new hardware, it’s just the SoC that is not new.

Typo, should be “10 years

I would remove the bold part of that since both the PinePhone and Librem 5 has those so it’s not really a difference between the devices.

1 Like

Yes, that was unclear. I changed it to:

It’s hard to say at this point what many of the PinePhone ports will do with convergence. Video out over USB-C requires a hardware fix in v1.1 and v1.2, so we will probably only see it in the upcoming CE: postmarketOS release. AFAIK, the only one who has focused on convergence is UBports and their convergence is based on adapting its mobile software so it can run on the desktop, whereas Purism’s strategy is based on taking existing desktop software and adapting it (with libhandy) to run on mobile. postmarketOS with Phosh will probably offer the same as Purism, but I didn’t see anything on its web site about convergence.

I guess that it is a debatable point, but it seems to me that if your goal is to use your phone as a PC, you would rather have convergence that is based on downsizing an existing desktop, rather than upsizing existing mobile software. I haven’t used Ubuntu Touch, but from the comments I have read, its convergence still requires some work.

2 Likes

Well, that’s it folks. I can’t add any more info to the original post in this thread, because I hit the max limit of 40,000 characters. :angry:

Now I have to delete something in order to add anything.

1 Like

You could put it somewhere else on the internet and link to it?

You would get better formatting that way too.

Could it go in the community wiki?

3 Likes

hold on a second

1 Like

You should be good to go now

2 Likes

But still the issue of this post should be migrated or not can still be considered

1 Like

João, muito obrigado. Agora posso escrivir mais.

1 Like

Great post! I’ve found a few minor nitpicks:

• etnaviv already supports OpenGL 2.1 as well (in addition to OpenGL ES 1.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0)
  • is there any reason to include “A2DP” in the Bluetooth row for PinePhone but not for Librem 5?
  • postmarketOS already has Librem 5 support merged in. I have tried it myself from an SD card a few days ago and it works :wink:
  • the smart card size is 3FF now; it was 2FF in Birch and Chestnut only
  • the photo with “Hardware kill switches and 2FF smart card on side of Chestnut” title actually shows kills switches and a SIM+microSD tray
9 Likes

@dos, Thanks for spotting those errors.

Are the specs for the Librem 5 at MobilityArena correct?

Specifically, MobilityArena says:

Rear Camera : 13 MP camera, f2.2 Aperture, LED flash, 1080p@30fps video recording
Front-facing Camera : 8 MP, f2.0 Aperture, 1080p@30fps video capture.
Music Support : PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC + / MP3 / AMR – NB / WB / APE
Video Support : H.264/MP4/MPEG4 player
Bluetooth : v4.2, A2DP
WiFi : Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
Battery Charging : 5V/2A Fast Charging

Specs on the Purism website say “Bluetooth 4” and don’t mention “A2DP” and WiFi “hotspot”. It isn’t clear which RS9116 chip is used, so I can’t check the Bluetooth version.