Comparing the PinePhone to the Librem 5

@amosbatto As a second data point, connecting a Samsung T7 portable SSD to my Librem 5 easily exceeds “150-170 MB/s”.

The marketing speed of that SSD is 1050 MB/s :open_mouth: but you will need a USB 3.2 port and good hardware to get that.

Testing that drive on a USB 3.0 port on my desktop gives 403 MB/s. That gives us something to compare with that is not a marketing speed. (On slightly better desktop hardware, and with the earlier Samsung T5, I can sustain somewhat over 500 MB/s - in any case still limited to 5 Gbit/s USB marketing speed, both that drive and the USB port.)

Now testing that T7 drive on my Librem 5 gives 249 MB/s. That’s not setting any records but it is well above the quoted bug limit. Even a cheaper other brand SSD on the Librem 5 manages 235 MB/s.

Adding:

Using --direct when testing, as @dos did, allows me to get as high as 297 MB/s, still not setting any records but stretching the gap between the claimed bug limit and what can be achieved even further.

5 Likes

I know it’s not the whole story, but…

• Vivante GC7000Lite @800MHz = 32 GFlops
  • Mali-T860 MP4 @500MHz = 68 GFlops
2 Likes

Mobian: Pinephone Pro vs PureOS: Librem 5 R4

glxgear test: GPU

Pinephone Pro has a big bug then is running to only 53hz display.

4 Likes

Its cool you got the Pinephone Pro in your hands, did you get the qwerty keyboard case add on too? I think what will continue to hold up Pinephone regardless of its improvements in hardware are that no one is really developing any of the many OS’s it can run. I mean I heard Pine64 has named Manjaro KDE Plasma mobile as its default OS, but if Pine64 is not committed themselves to get the OS working better and just relies on the community, it might never be a viable daily driver?

2 Likes

Yeah i bought the pinephone pro just because i heard from an unoficial webpage that pine64 is going to increase the price to 600dls in march or april, but i’m not sure if it’s true, anyway i bought this device too only because it has a libre driver right now with vulkan, but honestly i like the L5 better than PPP, and for many reasons that i won’t mention right now. Many people don’t know that Phosh will never work 100% on PP or PPP, because these devices use an incomplete soc.
Also i think it’s not right that Pine64 quickly launched PPP with a different soc, this is a bad practice that devalues/depress the user. Right now the little community power for the PP is divided for the PPP, this slowing down the stability of the first PP, but i guess that Pine64 released the ppp just for the panfrost.vk driver to work good with gtk4.
I not have the qwerty keyboard case.
The little time i using the ppp i know that is not work good at the moment, the cpu feel super slow, and poor battery life.

4 Likes

That’s disappointing, I was looking forward to getting one.

1 Like

I luv the idea of the qwerty keyboard snap on case, especially a linux phone where one could be on the terminal a lot. I just wish Pine64 cut a deal with some organization that could work on making a more functional OS on it. UBPorts and Purism could be options, but Pine64 building hardware but not having the foresight that OS’s may struggle on it, hurts their devices. I mean if someone asked me best OS on Pinephone, my answer would be none. KDE Plasma mobile, Phosh/Postmarket OS, Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish, etc all have decent UI, but are hardly functional, especially to say the average consumer.

Pine64 builds the Pinephone Pro and still doesn’t have a real solid OS for it. They could build the Super Duper Pinephone X Pro Deluxe and still not have an OS on it that is all that functional, and they are pretty much telling their customers, you are on your own.

I wonder if they were talking about a future Retail Edition, sold from webstores in Europe and N. America with a 1 year warranty. The RK3399K is in stock, so I don’t think Rockchip is having the same kind of chip shortages as NXP with the i.MX 8M.

Can you explain this? I’m curious what the A64 and RK3399S lacks compared to the i.MX 8M Quad.

3 Likes