Confused About PureOS Stable

I’m a bit confused about whether or not PureOS 10 is now the stable version. From what I can see there hasn’t been a release announcement, but it’s listed on Distrowatch as having been released on October 5, and the PureOS website Download link is to PureOS 10. However, the download link to PureOS 10 is broken and when you go to the iso manually in the downloads section it still has “devel” in the file name. Is PureOS 10 now the official stable version, or is 9 still the one to use?

as far as i know PureOS 9 is still stable and 10 is marked as devel.
There was no official release yet.
Hower i don’t see reason why you should isntall PureOS 9.
First thing is a fact that pureOS is nohing mroe that rebranded Debian with stripped non-free packages from repo, and couple additional customisations like pureos-*-themes :wink:
As Debian Bullseye is new stable, it’s safe to go with PureOS 10

1 Like

We’ve done a couple things with PureOS 10 to improve stability. For one, it no longer tracks Debian Testing. But we have more work to do before we feel it can be released with all the features we’re looking for, like EFI installations and some installer improvements. As you note, PureOS 10 is already in wide release and we use it on Purism devices now, but it isn’t considered officially released just yet.

PureOS 10 also is dual architecture; ARM and x86. Also, we’ve done significant development on the ARM side of PureOS 10 from kernel to new applications. Note that PureOS 10 is also convergent, which allows you to run applications on different devices and have everything still look good.

1 Like

What is your use case? Do you hope to install on to a new laptop? If so, I suggest using PureOS 9 Amber and then upgrading to PureOS 10.

Thanks much for the response. Will there be a release announcement when it is officially ready? Any ETA?

1 Like

We use PureOS across our (small) organization. I’m on-boarding a couple of new folks at the moment and am trying to decide whether to stick on PureOS 10 vs going with PureOS 9 and upgrading the whole “fleet” together (or to migrate to Debian Bullseye). I think, as you say, I’ll go with 9. Am I right in saying that whenever there is an official 10 release there will be a simple upgrade path?

1 Like

Yes, starting with PureOS 9 and upgrading to PureOS 10 should be a simple upgrade path.

For what it’s worth, we’re planning on having support for PureOS 9 until 2024. PureOS 10 will also get support at least until that date and likely longer. PureOS 10 does have newer software than PureOS 9 however.

Yes, we’ll have a release announcement and we’re currently planning a press release.

wonderful. Thank you. Feeling the need for the gnome-shell upgrade because of significant performance benefits. The other software isn’t really an issue. If 10 is hitting stable soon we’ll stick with PureOS

The suite of software in PureOS 10 is now as stable as PureOS 9. We’re working on bringing in some changes to the installer and other lower level changes. If you already have PureOS installed, then continuing to use PureOS 10 or even upgrading to 10 should give you production ready stability. However, if you need to use the new installer, it’s best to hold off until the official announcement.

In order to avoid the inconvenience of upgrading an encrypted boot drive, would it be feasible to separate root to the EMMC and home to the (encrypted) SD card?

I’ve never done that personally, so I cannot say for sure. I note that using the PureOS installer on an encrypted drive might provide some challenges, but otherwise the partitioning looks suitable to me.

1 Like