Considering a replacement for the old forums

Hi all, I’d like to share a project that’s been on my mind for a while: I’m advocating for replacing the current Wordpress-based forums by real, dedicated, modern forums software. My #1 candidate for this is Discourse. The official website for that software is discourse.org, but I feel like the most relevant page to understand why it’s different (and cool, in my opinion) from every other forums software we’ve seen in the past decades is this original announcement blog post.

So the reasons why I’m hoping we will move to Discourse are:

• Improving security and performance by isolating it from the main website and other things;
  • Much better usability and user experience. The current forums are cumbersome and frustrating to use, they're full of bugs and limitations, and they look awful.

I hope we will be able to migrate all the data of the existing forums to the new instance (no 100% guarantees, but at least there seem to be some tools for it out there…)

I hope we will be able to migrate all the data of the existing forums to the new instance

Or just left the old forum as archive.
(read only, no new post)

cheers, HS

Maybe a https://community.puri.sm like https://community.letsencrypt.org/
How about a seperate one for pureos at https://community.pureos.net

Hi Jeff!..
There is, indeed, the need for a further evolution of Purism’s Forum structure! And my ensuing suggestion, is to replace the categories, Infrastructure and Services, Librem, and PureOS, with the following new categories…
Purism Hypotech Hardware or Purism Hypo-ICT Hardware
Purism Hypotech Software or Purism Hypo-ICT Software
Purism Hypotech Services or Purism Hypo-ICT Services

Purism Hardware Products (To distinguish between ICT
Purism Hardware Services types… e.g., PCs, phones)

Purism Software Products (To distinguish between ICT
Purism Software Services types… e.g., OSes & Apps)
Please!.. no emails!
P.S.: For me… Greek is always preferred over Latin!.. and so, replacing INFRA with HYPO (for below or beneath), is more efficient and effective! Similarly, as “structure” within “infrastructure” is a virtual metaphore for the sum products and services of a given TECHNE (i.e., the “technomae” of a given TECHNE!), the abbreviated use, TECH, is a more appropriate suffixal morphemic element for the prefixal morphemic element HYPO, than the use, STRUCTURE!
Lastly, as Purism… as a brand name… is like Microsoft or Apple, Librem, thusly, is like MS’ use of MSDOS or WINDOWS, or Apple’s use of MAC (and etc.!)! And so… just as MS and Apple have spun off product “EXPRESSIONS”, so too, should Purism-- likewise!-- consider the creation of product varieties!
However, if the expression Librem is to be a “philosophical footnote” in the “public identification” of ALL Purism designs, then the expression should be used as such… and therefore, “disentangled” from the “product branding” associated with ANY PARTICULAR Purism product line (e.g., PCs!)! But!.. if merging the term Librem with Purism (as in, “Purism Librem”) is a non-starter, then you are left with either “branding confusion”, or “branding degradation”! And, inasmuch, as to “steal” the general “philosophical power” of the term Librem for PCs alone, is to remove its power from other Purism FOSS and FOSH products; and thereby, inadvertently sow confusion in the minds of prospective Purism users and followers, as to which FOSS and FOSH products are to be associated with Purism’s “Librem philosophy”! Simply worded!.. there’s a need to “reevaluate” where Purism begins!.. and where Librem ends! Oh!.. and the term Hypotech-- if adopted (wisely!)!-- should only be used as a “generic expression”! Otherwise, further branding confusion and/ or degradation, will become manifest! Matrixware OEMs have a habit of “commercially branding” things to death!.. less, is better!

Hi Jeff!..
Afterupon a further study of my submitted categories of some days ago, I thought it wise to offer up the ensuing refinement of same!.. which-- I believe!-- better accommodates some of the broader/ general areas of Purism “technic”, and “technomic” discussions (i.e., under what I’ve dubbed the “Metatech categories”!.. and, in particular, under Purism Metatech Services Hypotech-- the broadest of the three new categories!)! Having prepared my following treatment in a monospace text editing environment (my preferred environment, for all of my text editing!), my refinement will appear somewhat asymmetic!.. and inasmuch, as “Proportional fonts” don’t lend themselves to vertical alignment! Nevertheless!.. Enjoy!
Purism Prottech Hardware Hypotech (see, pró̱tos… for Primary tech!)
Purism Prottech Software Hypotech
Purism Prottech Services Hypotech
(Note: normally, the “o” is used as a “connector” between elements in Greek words!.. but, because matching cojoining consonants are found, the “o” is omitted!.. as-- e.g.-- in the word, symmetric! And… frankly!.. Prottech reads, and is phonetically articulated, more efficiently!)
Purism Epiproto Hardware Hypotech (i.e., Purism “Epi-Prottech” Hardware Hypotech)
Purism Epiproto Software Hypotech (i.e., Purism “Epi-Prottech” Software Hypotech)
Purism Epiproto Services Hypotech (i.e., Purism “Epi-Prottech” Services Hypotech)
Purism Metatech Hardware Hypotech (see, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta)
Purism Metatech Software Hypotech
Purism Metatech Services Hypotech (Services here, cover META Hardware, Software and “Metaservices” issues!)

Purism Telotech Hardware Products (From the Greek word Telos!.. for “end”!.. for “End-user tech”! And, to
Purism Telotech Hardware Services distinguish between Hardware ICT types!)

Purism Telotech Software Products (From the Greek word Telos!.. for “end”!.. for “End-user tech”! And, to
Purism Telotech Software Services distinguish between Software ICT types!)
Lastly, although one should never say never, the abovenoted GENERIC CATEGORIES are my final submission on the topic of Forum reform! And once again… for me… Greek expressions are always preferred over Latin terms!.. and so, replacing INFRA with HYPO (for below or beneath), is more efficient and effective! And again… similarly, as “structure” within “infrastructure” is a virtual metaphore for the sum products and services of a given TECHNE (i.e., the “technomae” of a given TECHNE!)!.. the abbreviated use TECH, is determined to be a more appropriate suffixal morphemic element for the prefixal morphemic element HYPO, than the use, STRUCTURE (though, the “infrastructure”-- as such-- usually connotes the “KEY” products and services elements to be found therein!.. in contrast, to my mentions of “sum” products and services!)!
Please!.. no emails!

For the actual discussion, the only thing I have to contribute is a forum host I used to use about 5 years ago, Forumotion - https://www.forumotion.com/

Had a really nice control panel and stuff. Basically you chose between PhpBB2, PhpBB3, or PunBB and then a theme and from there you get into manually doing whatever you like through the CP. CSS and everything is open for editing. Not sure what might be new and different about it now over 5 years ago though.

Also John - Sorry to be blunt, but shut the hell up and quit spamming/trolling. I dunno what your angle is or what you’re all pissed about but spamming the forums is not the solution and it just annoys everyone here.

One thing is for certain - you’re going to have to start verifying e-mail addresses with registration so that you can just permaban folks like “John” here. They’ll certainly keep making new mail accounts but it should at least make it less frequent. Also require captcha on top of it.

Also might wanna make sure to blacklist e-mail domains that services like 10MinuteMail.com and 10MinuteMail.net use.

Behold! The great migration has begun! We’re finalizing the setup here and weeding out invalid/unused accounts (those that have 0 posts), so if you are reading this and manually created a new user account in the past few days and wish for it to be preserved, feel free to reply here to say hi and survive the automated cleanup!

1 Like