Considering Librem One (smart email composing options)

Hello everyone. Considering that I would move to Librem One services including email, I ask how could I replace a really useful feature that I have on Gmail by a more respectful free software service: the intelligent email smart composer, powered by AI, which helps me to write less prone to errors in English language.

Two questions more:

• Does the email service have “downtime”?

• Won’t giving a recovery email from Google compromise the service?

Thank you.

I use mutt with vi as editor. You can configure vi so it does spell checking.

-H

1 Like

Yes, but it’s very different, spell checking might be useful, although it is not like a writing assistant powered by AI that helps you with the grammar and everything.

Sure.
Now let me ask this: when you are happy with google, why leave?

@hfollmann I am not happy with Google and I was expecting another type of answer, as for example: “there is also Language Tool that works on Libreoffice”. I passing the link, so that others may try to find some alternative solution https://languagetool.org/

The short answer is: Train your Language skills and have time to speak, read and talk with students about that language.

An A.I. is just a shortage. Like searching for the answer and give your Homework to your Friend to solve it for you. If you want to learn an Language you have to life it, and use it. Just use a digital offline dictionary and consume media in that language.

Google have with deep L. a big prototype of A.I. in the Field, but the price is your leg of (every) data!
I do not know a good alternative but i think there have to be some Universities with a free open Source approach for schooling purposes. Not so perfect but with privacy.

If its for a job, just pay a human for a redirection activity, just not one who beat it into google translate! ;D
For open public Information, like free news or free Internet media - you can use google translate through privacy Systems like Tails or Tor Browsers, too.

1 Like

Hi @Christal, Hi, although I am interested in other languages, I am primarily interested in writing English perfectly. I know practice makes perfection and that immersion is crucial for the learning process. I find Language Tool useful as my texts are encrypted, there is a privacy statement, and supposedly they do not track users. Language Tool works with Thunderbird and Libreoffice (It’s more complete on Libreoffice, I can not yet affirm this because I am getting a Java related error, that I will possibly post on another thread). Language Tool is heavier for Libreoffice, so I expect it to be more complete. I learned what I know about the English language in several ways, I had basic instruction at school, I learned using computing and talking to friends of other nationalities and also by reading and consuming media, and even through music. The best way for me is the most natural, immersing and practicing with native speakers. AI powered language translation tools are still valuable for me, especially if what I will write will not be private, like writing to a blog, for example. I always have some doubts on prepositions and some grammar, and of course I want to sound like a native and avoid some literal translations from my native language. Language tool is pretty strong on punctuation, spell checking, and on some grammar, exemplifying, the software knows whereas it is a question or a sentence, knows about grammar, but doesn’t’ t detect some very basic errors as to make a mistake and to use singular instead of plural or vice-versa. Better than nothing, I think it is good help while I continue to learn. Am I doing too bad? If you are a native English speaker, you can make some “judgement”. I do believe I make myself understand clearly, and I am trying to avoid errors!

As I posted before, my problem with TAILS is that I need to switch operating systems often to accomplish all the tasks, and it is not advisable to run it on a virtual machine, so mostly I consider using just TOR on a privacy enhanced system.

Just to explain, in this simple text, on Gmail composer were detected seven simple mistakes undetectable on Language tool. Examples: “primary”/“primarily”, “other”/“another”, “about English”/“about the English”,“by several”/“in several”,“specially”/“especially”, “will be not”/“will not be”/“I make me understand”/ “I make myself understand”. In fact, I gave up on my privacy at this time, but I am learning through AI as I will study why I made these mistakes.

I still find Language Tool useful as a first aid “writing assistant” when I try to not disclose my data. When I don’t, Deeply or another system might help me in some way too.

If I could, I would not reveal any data, especially to any giant tech. I do believe Language Tool might be protecting my data and don’t even store it for too long and they aren’t giant techs, they are not there yet. It would be good if they improved their system with privacy in mind!

On the other hand, maybe there is an offline updatable system better than a dictionary, as machine translations and AI are being developed further.

Thanks for your ideas and tips! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Christal if want to know about the privacy you can get with Language Tool, you can read the privacy policy here https://languagetool.org/legal/privacy

1 Like

I suspect it doesn’t exist as a respectful function.

If it’s a service then

a lot of this is taken on trust. It might be respectful but it might not be. Often this kind of service will say that it will look at the operation of the software for the purposes of managing, administering, improving it. From the perspective of an IT person, I can understand that. From the perspective of a privacy advocate, it raises major issues.

If it is were a product (i.e. software that you could run locally) and it were open source, well, that would be great but I doubt it exists.

2 Likes

You do it great, and no i am not a native english speaker.

Yes i am a bit conservative about this tech. Its just because i lost my trust! Like Facebook told “we respect privace and did not do this”… until the next leak show otherwise, or Microsoft with Windows in the past.

Right now you can SEE, how bad it works if you check the Software and Apps for Smartphones and how they track and sold the Data.

From that point of view, i did not trust any google, microsoft or apple since 2003. I check the source and the behavior of systems and source code, and compile software by myself from the source to be sure. And just use offline software, without server code as much as i can.

Language or translation is a good example. If you write your thoughts in realtime, you lose your thoughts. If you wrote it down and use offline spellcheck with a book of words (its really easy with a computer, but not as exquisitely as an online service), you learn the language. Because your way to understand is the way your brain archive meaning.

Just think about telemetry Data, Voice, Speak (Words and Errors) and behavior - could a internet connected Computer collect by the way you use it and use it against you.

Last Edit: In German we have the Word: Datensparsamkeit

In English, there is no good translation. So the wikipedia Linked it to:

And yes its about that. Software can be designed to work offline for example, without mess with your privacy. But right now it shares too mouch Data with servers and hinder users to be offline by design to collect more and more data with servers in realtime. Thats how many grep data to monetise the software like a monthly rent.

1 Like