Constructive criticism (and review) of Purism and the Librem 5

I see that PureOS has a lot potential to improvements, but I don’t see “a laggy mess”. The only time I have laggs is when something gets loaded (for example 2-3 seconds directly after booting OS). Once things got loaded, everything is smooth. I would like to know why some people think it isn’t. Would you mind to explain it a bit further?

Good news:
I gave a look into usage app repository and read the discussion about it. The high CPU-issue is some years old (comments from 4 years ago) and they found out that it is only related to Wayland and GTK 3. 14 hours ago they merged the port to GTK 4 and this should improve the performance a lot. It seams that we don’t need to wait a lot for our fix anymore.

1 Like

That is not what I said. I was not talking about PureOS when I said “a laggy mess”.

I was expressing that I throught waydroid would be a laggy mess, but found that it was faster and more performant than PureOS while running on top of PureOS. Which just goes to show how poor the performance of phosh is. Most likely because it runs on top of gnome.

But you said

and here I don’t see the point. It indicates laggs and except few situations (I gave an example) its totally smooth in my opinion. Usage app is also such example, but that is a specific issue not related to PureOS at all.

My appdraw (and sometimes my notification shade) drops below 30 frames regularly. But it is certainly usable.

Android running on top of PureOS is still much faster. That shouldn’t be the case.

I would prefer to use only PureOS if I could, so I am excited to see were it will go considering the large improvements we know are possible.

1 Like

Okay now I can agree with it. Android got a lot of improvements over time. Even if it is not fair to compare Librem 5 with my old smartphone with Android 4, but there I even had laggs on incoming calls and one or two times I couldn’t even accept the call fast enough (was ringing, showed up GUI, but didn’t recognize input until ringing was over). The current state of L5 is not bad at all.

Let’s say this way: it just can get better over time. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yea - I think the overall conclusion here is that the hardware is not the problem, but the software; and that the risk for the long term viability of the Librem 5 is somewhere else someone “innovating” and ruining something we depend on.

Thanks for the lovely discussion.

3 Likes

Never trust the Code generated by that one. If you understand code you could try to read it. But if you are a beginner, skip this to waste! Read usual code, talk about it with folks or try and error your own code. If you are unsure suggest to consulate some well known algorithms by math solutions and mathematical proof of working definitions for software solutions. Not suggested by dreaming A.I. … or individual personalized filtered answers from a popular search and answer engine or some kind of synthetic relationship.

5 Likes

That’s not fair to say. The user experience of GNU/Linux on the desktop has improved so much in the last 20 years that it’s likely the best desktop out there (specifically with GNOME).

The MS Windows UI, in the meantime, has seen unsuccessful experiments (tiles) and users are still struggling with the same problems as in Y2K (noisy fan, excessive CPU load and RAM pressure).

Apple laptops, again, have a very specific audience that is little critic about a pleasant, enjoyable UI. Their desktop is all gray and unfriendly. But fanboys don’t mind! (You have to be part of the religion!)

Seriously, I did public courses on using Linux for the young and elderly (with Ubuntu) back in 2009 and I was astonished how well some elderly did, how energetic they were, how empowered they felt using the all-new GNOME desktop. It really depends on the people, on what they want, how they engage.

The reduced desktop experience GNOME provides is great for the larger, non-tech savvy audience. None of the currently popular desktop OSes comes close. The GNOME creators have taken the best ideas from Apple and Windows and have further improved the overall usefulness. (Kudos to them!)

As mentioned in another comment, there are computer problems, application struggles on the Linux Desktop as well, no magic can solve most of them. But users of Windows and Mac struggle with them just as much as they would on the friendly penguin. The rest is all propaganda.

5 Likes

Fair points.

I agree that once everything is up and running, something like Ubuntu with GNOME is super user friendly.

The problem still is, I think, to get things running smoothly. In Windows, you are usually a driver away from getting everything ok, and the installer will be usually a next-next-finish installer wizard, which most people can handle.

It is a struggle to help friends and family and they shiver when I say “Would you open the terminal, please?”

There’s the generational gap as well, with younger people sometimes failing to realize that, to scan a document, the paper must be facing the glass. =)

1 Like