Convergence Adapters

When I got my L5 a year ago, I tried it with the convergence adapter that came with my Pinephone. It worked, but I noticed that it lacked enough ports… and it delivered no power to the phone. Of course, the L5 burned through the battery at a prodigious rate when driving external accessories. I remember others having this problem – even with adapters purported to do PD – back then and didn’t think about it much until recently.

Today, I got an inexpensive adapter from the Evil Bezos Empire (a habit I need to break).

I haven’t plugged it into a monitor, etc. yet, but I can report that the L5 charges when connected to the adapter, even with heavy Firefox use. I will try it out in convergence mode tomorrow.

What are you all using? Does it work well?

1 Like

Are you talking about this docking bar from PINE64?

You can use this USB-C hub from the Purism webshop instead.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah… oddly enough the cheap Bezos special does video, but not keyboard/mouse. Doubtless, the product from the Purism is worth paying double. :grimacing:

2 Likes

You can get it from eBay for much cheaper than $49 USD. If you want to remove all of eBay’s URL tracking parameters, use this post.

2 Likes
1 Like

Not intending to disparage the official adapter but rather to temper expectations: my hub has worked with certain keyboard/mice but not with others, so device compatibility isn’t 100% guaranteed.

2 Likes

Good to know. I was using old Dell keyboard and mouse (I have a drawer full for odd projects). I’ll try to find another type to try out.

1 Like

I have Hoyoki that Amazon and Pursim sell. I regret buying it.

1. Attempts to contact Hoyoki get bounced back as non existent.

2. Runs very hot.

3. For me, it’s a long process to set the phone to finally recognize the Hoyoki, then to use the mini-micro-screen to set it to use a monitor and to what screen size.

4. It may be a tad picayune by some, but IMO needs mentioning and that is the cables for the pwr adapter for the Hoyoki are thick and not very flexible causing it hard to minimize cable vs. desktop real estate.

Other times, when I pick it up in morning, nothing responds and shows Pwr @ 0.%
In this case, I’ve learned to unplug from pwr adapter remove the battery, wait 30 seconds , replace battery, replace pwr adapter, and boot. Then it says battery is at 98%.
I can repeat this every morning.

With the Hoyoki that Amazon and Puri sell, by my experience, tells me Hoyoki may no longer in business - so caveat emptor. Do check it out yourself.

AFAIK, Puri.sm LAP DOCK. (AKA “Dock”) is not available - yet. Lease way, I’ve not seen it stated that back-order is in. Might be a drop-ship via Amazon > Nexdock.

I’d love to see a ‘dock’ that when the L5 is plugged in (off or on), the dock picks it up connects to a full fledged laptop - like the L-14 and use them as part of a network via Laptop L-14.

3 Likes

May be true but they are selling a branded item that you can buy from other vendors. Purism is selling the Nexdock 360. Apart from the Nexdock lapdocks, there are the UPERFECT lapdocks. So, for the Nexdock 360, it would come down to whether you want or need the magnetic mount and the shorter cable that Purism includes.

2 Likes

When this thread started, the hub from Purism was listed as “out of stock”, yesterday that switched to backorder, at the moment the page won’t load for me (finally loaded, still backorder). On amazon, it looks like it is only sold by third party and not even shipped by amazon, and the price is 250 USD.

1 Like