Convergence Issues

I was wondering if it wasn’t something to do with a kernel issue or something. How might a person downgrade the kernel again?

1 Like

I just used sudo flash-kernel --force 6.5.0-1-librem5
(That worked on my old phone that I haven’t reflashed but my one that has been reflashed it did not work on.)

2 Likes

So I ordered a new USB hub from Purism but the one I received was not the one they show on their website. See here: USB-C Hub – Purism What brand is your hub from Purism, if I might ask? A little frustrating since it was expensive to order and ship from Purism.

I have not tried it yet, but I am a little dubious that it is any different than the two hubs I have already tried as they look very similar. I will report back if it makes any difference.

1 Like

As an update to this post, I wanted to let everyone know that the USB Hub I ordered directly from Purism, from their website, works very well. It is not perfect but the flaky power issues and constant shutting off are gone. I am happy.

2 Likes

:question:

2 Likes

Well, it wasn’t the one they show on their website. But, the one I received does work. What can I say?

1 Like

Model name.

2 Likes

We need Picture of the HUB. :slightly_smiling_face:

// Wroted from Raptor Blackbird and GNU Operating System - GNU Core 6.8.4

2 Likes

lsusb output

1 Like

Here is the LSUSB output: Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0626 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB3.1 Hub

Here are the pictures:

It still works well. Sounds transfers via HDMI. Not buggy. Sometimes the display has trouble recognizing the different monitors and I have to fiddle with it, but it works eventually.

My only complaint is that, with this hub, there is no SD card slot. The picture on the website shows an SD card slot. Small potatoes.

Update. I paid about $70.00 with Purism for this hub and I just found it on Amazon for $30.00. Annoying. Oh well.

Update 2. Sorry, one more update. I have been running the hub all day and streaming music. The power management on the hub is much improved from my prior experiences. The battery is fully charged and the phone temperature is still relatively low for all the activity. That is a plus.

5 Likes

I have a couple of questions for people that bought a USB-C hub from Purism in the past.

Did it match the picture or the one bought by flanders51 or something else?

If not the same as flanders51, what soes lsusb show for it?

2 Likes

Yeah but Amazon do not support Free Software. :smiley:

// wroted from RasberryPi 5 plus an Impure Linux Operating System.

3 Likes

I ordered the USB-C hub from the Purism shop about a year and a half ago. It looked like the photo in the shop.

This is the output for lsusb: ID 2109:0817 VIA Labs, Inc. USB3.0 Hub

2 Likes

The shop then? The shop now?

Does it match the photo above?

Right now for me the Purism shop is showing the Hoyoki hub but I vaguely thought that you can’t get them any more (from Purism or from anyone else) and hence the photo may be out of date?

1 Like

The photo in the shop was the same then and now. Maybe the photo is out of date like you suggested.

1 Like

@JCS I don’t know whether you can escalate to get that checked out and fixed if necessary. Maybe it would be better for Purism just to erase the brand from the photo in the shop - so that over time the actual make and model that is supplied can be changed to whatever is available at the time without generating queries.

3 Likes

Thanks, I escalated to the appropriate department.

Update: We may consider using more generic imagery to reduce future maintenance issues/questions but, for the time being, the product page has been updated to reflect the correct product offering.

3 Likes

On both the Librem5 and PinePhonePro I’ve had issues of some docks not working and problems with 4K display not working or not working with touch. I’ve also had a problem at one time with a dock triggering kernel panics in a Mobian kernel (that one seems fixed).

I recommend that anyone who wants to do this starts by buying a couple of cheap docks from eBay, Amazon, or AliExpress so you can just change to a different dock when you have issues. Also use a monitor with resolution less than 4K.

I don’t think that what I really want to do with convergence is going to be possible on Librem5 type hardware, but it is a good platform for software development so later on I can move to a Librem6 or PinePhone2 or something.

1 Like

Quite apart from dock issues, I find that vanilla desktop Linux has some annoyances with a 4K monitor. That at least can be fixed in software.

A 4K monitor won’t work for use with a dock, with 4K resolution, unless both the source (the Librem 5) and the dock support 4K.

For my use in docked mode, FHD (1920x1080) is satisfactory.

The dock that Purism sells claims to be 4K capable but unfortunately that is inadequate specification. You need to know whether that’s 4K @ 30Hz or 4K @ 60Hz.

1 Like

Here is the product page for the UtechSmart UCN3273:

The User Manual states:

• HDMI 4K Output Port: Up to 4K@30Hz.
2 Likes