Coreboot on Ryzen now potentially possible?

So I was watching this podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3o1s4FIIFs and came across this

What are your guys thoughts? I know the discussion of using Ryzen for librem laptops have been had before but this sparks hope in me. Do you think the shift for future librem laptops will be towards ARM or Ryzen?

Interesting! Love that someone is going forward with this

not too shaby … i’d like to do the flashing myself without being forced to buy a System76 workstation … the situation with the lockdown and customs is already hairy enough as it is …

1 Like

Using coreboot is one things, disabling the PSP is another. See this entry in our FAQ.

grumble grumble
Another use Ryzen post. Gotta make a bot for these posts and e-mails.
spits into his spittoon

Haha actually this is pretty awesome work and worth posting about because its news. Am excited to see what comes of this.

5 Likes

Thes presentations about the AMD PSP internals last year were kind of interesting:

But yes, it’s another rogue core, not conceptually different than Intel’s ME, and at least just as critical to functioning of the main CPU. AFAIK no one succeeded in disabling it yet and reverse engineering seems like a flawed long-term strategy, always one step behind, needing to find an exploit to disable it.
In the long term we need open hardware from the ground up.

3 Likes

Looooll yeahh … I know the use Ryzen posts are rampant on here :sweat_smile:

The posts are but rightly so as Ryzen chips are very good from a CPU and GPU standpoint. Just not there yet from security perspective. Once coreboot is working and the questionable parts of the PSP are able to be disabled, we can then look into it.

Would love to see AMD going up. Intel is crap and will keep being crap while AMD is pretty cool even if they do some bad stuff too. Intel is already planning to change direction for their audience and AMD chips are showing to be better for value and performance (except for single core in some circumstances if I am not mistaken).

the intel from Purism products > AMD (on ANY device) > Retail Intel (no-modifications)

ARM is different beast

This, incidentally, is why I’m hanging on to my Bulldozer-based (the FX series) AMD systems. Yes, they’re relatively slow. Yes, they put out a fair bit of heat. But they’re the fastest x86 chip you can get which doesn’t have anything like the ME or PSP (and therefore actually belongs to me).

1 Like

Why is is that purism’s intel performs better? What ‘modifications’ exactly? Is this in reference to ME and such that has a performance hit?

the opteron you can get on the VIKING systems has more multi-threaded compute power though …

it performs “better” because it is more blob liberated (etc.) than the other listed products

there is MUCH that Purism has done “under-the-hood”. but the price you pay is proportional …

Seen the roadmap few times in the past already. What is the other under-the-hood stuff and do they do anything that makes them perform better in not a sense of liberation but by performance?

Arguably I’d say but never mind.

i don’t mean any offense to you or to anyone else but i have no intention of repeating what has ALREADY been detailed extensively on the Purism Fora by many of the older-than-mine accounts … whoever is patient and interested enough can do a search and find out … you should know this by now @user1

Fair enough. Will search. Kind of replying between small spaces of time during my work and can’t search up right now so yep. Will search in a bit.

Umm. Mind sending a few links plz. Couldn’t find any evidence.

Coreboot is generally a bit faster than proprietary BIOS/UEFI. System76 reports that their laptops with Coreboot and open source firmware for the embedded controller boot 28% faster.

If you are doing something like video rendering that can use all the cores, Ryzen is better because you get more cores for less money. However, for most tasks, Intel Core still has the performance crown. See:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900XT/4071vsm1202614

For a low-end and mid-range PC, however, I would buy Ryzen over Core.