Coreboot, TPM and Spectre/Meltdown

Greetings Purists,

I just successfully updated Coreboot on my 13v2 following the directions at puri.sm/coreboot. It now appears to be version 4.8.1-Purism-3. I trust this is the latest and greatest Coreboot available for my system. However, I do see references to Coreboot 4.9 elsewhere. Do I in fact have the correct version?

Also, a couple of more questions (if you are still reading)…

For some reason, I was under the impression that updating Coreboot would ‘unlock’ the TPM chip but after checking with the tpm-tools command ‘tpm_version’, it doesn’t appear that I have a TPM chip to unlock (sad face). However, I saw some posts from others who have v3 machines that had the same tpm_version output as me (and we know that they do have a TPM chip). So is it possible that I have a TPM chip and tpm_version is throwing an error… or was I mistaken in assuming that a Coreboot update could unlock a non-existant chip? I could swear that I saw mention of 13v2 machines having TPM chips (only certain machines?) that were non-functional merely because of the lack of a Coreboot update. It was one of the reasons I was motivated to update Coreboot.

Second, the other assumed benefit of updating Coreboot was microcode that fixes Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. I checked prior to updating Coreboot and my machine was at risk for CVE-2018-3640:KO, CVE-2018-3639:KO, CVE-2018-3615:KO. After the update, the same vulnerabilities appear to exist. Was I incorrect to assume that microcode fixes for Spectre and Meltdown are part of the latest Coreboot update?

Oh yeah - I used PureOS Live from a bootable USB to update Coreboot and I am currently running Debian from my HD. Not sure if that is relevant.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

1 Like

I trust this is the latest and greatest Coreboot available for my system. However, I do see references to Coreboot 4.9 elsewhere. Do I in fact have the correct version?

4.8.1-Purism-3 is the latest version for Librem laptops. coreboot released version 4.9 on 2018/12/20, but Purism hasn’t yet rebased their builds, tested, etc. That will take some time, and I’m not sure there is a timetable for that currently.

For some reason, I was under the impression that updating Coreboot would ‘unlock’ the TPM chip

firmware updates can’t unlock hardware features that don’t exist. If you don’t have a TPM menu option when bringing up the SeaBIOS boot menu, you don’t have TPM hardware. I believe a small number of 13v2 laptops did have TPM retrofitted prior to the v3 release, which required a firmware update to enable, but that’s a very, very small minority of devices.

Was I incorrect to assume that microcode fixes for Spectre and Meltdown are part of the latest Coreboot update?

checking Intel’s microcode guidance, it seems that the Skylake Librem laptops are using revision C2, which is the pre-mitigation revision. C6 is the latest/current microcode (for CPUID 406e3, SKL-U), and will almost certainly be included in the 4.9 Librem firmware update. In the meantime, the OS has the ability to load the microcode update as well.