Coreboot USB-C conflict with external drive

I have a Librem 15 v3 with SeaBIOS rel-1.11.0-0-g63451fc and a displaylink docking port connected with USB-C. If I try to boot from an external USB drive, coreboot won’t recognize the drive and won’t give me an option to boot from it.

If I disconnect the docking port, the USB drive is recognized and I can boot from it. If I use a USB-A connector for the same docking port, the USB drive is recognised. If I switch the USB drive to use the USB-C connector then it is recognized (with or without the docking port on USB-A). If I connect the docking port to USB-C and plug the USB drive (via USB-A) into the docking port, the USB drive is recognized.

Once I get to the GRUB bootloader, this is no longer an issue - it’s only coreboot that can’t see the drive, and only in a specific configuration.

Is this a known issue?

I tried rebuilding coreboot to see if the latest version fixes this, but the official script doesn’t work (missing bootsplash.jpg). Even if I download the script from the new coreboot-files repo, it still clones the old coreboot-files repo (again no bootsplash or config files); fixing that, the script then chokes trying to download an Intel ME blob from a broken URL.

[EDIT] I’ve since managed to build coreboot from source, but USB-C the issue remains.

1 Like