Correcting blurry Flatpak apps

As referenced in this post reply, if you use the flatpak Signal desktop app from elogast, you can correct the blurry screen by doing the following:

Signal will be blurry on phosh (pinephone, Librem 5) becacuse of X11. To fix, run with wayland using these arguments: --use-gl=egl --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland. Signal must be opened at least once in X11/Xwayland first (just by clicking the launcher) first.
–> To add the above to the launcher shortcut: copy /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.signal.Signal/current/active/files/share/applications/org.signal.Signal.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/ and change the Exec line to this: Exec=flatpak run org.signal.Signal --use-gl=egl --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

I’ve tried the same thing with my blurry Joplin flatpak desktop app:

flatpak run net.cozic.joplin_desktop --use-gl=egl --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

but I get the following error message:
LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
xdg-settings
Sentry: Initialized with autoUploadCrashDumps: false
[2:0913/144124.758737:ERROR:wayland_connection.cc(196)] Failed to connect to Wayland display: No such file or directory (2)
[2:0913/144124.759573:ERROR:ozone_platform_wayland.cc(264)] Failed to initialize Wayland platform
[2:0913/144124.759624:ERROR:env.cc(257)] The platform failed to initialize. Exiting.

Any thoughts on if/how I can correct these commands to work for Joplin as well?

Many thanks.

2 Likes

Did you open Joplin using X11 first before running the arguments?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yes, I did run Joplin first as-is before trying those commands.

1 Like

Try with --socket=wayland after run:

flatpak run --socket=wayland net.cozic.joplin_desktop --use-gl=egl --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland
1 Like

I tried @dos 's suggestion, and it actually started to load the program. After the File/etc. menu headers loaded, though, there was an error with the part of of the code below. It asked me if I wanted to close the program or restart in safe mode.

So I tried it without, i.e.

flatpak run --socket=wayland net.cozic.joplin_desktop --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

and that seems to work - it’s loading, and coming up much clearer.

Thanks @dos !

2 Likes

p.s. I’m noticing in the error messages it was saying that the requested GLES version (3.0) was greater than the max supported (2.0).

1 Like