CPU fan stuck at high speed sometimes

I may have to add though that I have a pretty similar behavior on my Desktop PC as well from time to time. So it is possible that this may have a root cause outside of purism hard-/software direct influence?

Two days ago wanted to show some friends my new Librem. Starting it from sleep it directly went to full fan load as described above (didn’t start with the best impressions for the guys). Since then it is doing it reliably when waking from sleep. Might be, it is also draining the battery a bit quicker (beside the high noise-level i can only get rid of when completely shutting the laptop down + new start).

I have now upgraded my firmware to 4.8.1-Purism-2 and am still experiencing this issue. Periodically when waking from sleep the fan kicks into high gear and CPU frequency is held at 400Mhz. re-sleeping and waking resolves the issue.

I’ve got the same issue on a Librem 13v3. Hope this is going to be addressed soon. The machine is nice but this is really annoying.

1 Like

Our coreboot devs are working on this, it is all I can say for now.

Hi Mladen,

I just recently posted in this thread: Fan full blast after sleep, coreboot and Intel ME

However seeing your reply its good to know that purism is aware of the issue.

Can you share any updates?

I really hope there is a fix for this issue, it’s driving me nuts.

1 Like

Seems like not happening as often as it used to do after wakeup. But it still happens from time to time. Usually @400MHz.

I’ve been dealing with this as well on my 13 v3 with the latest coreboot installed. According to phoronix, there’s no Fan Speed sensors available on the hardware. This makes me sad and I’d really like to know if v4 of the Librem 13 will provide the sensor?

Same problem here with Librem15v3. Shipped Nov. 2018.

@ Purism Devs.: Let me know if I can help.

This happens sometime for me to. What I do is simply shut the lid, it sleeps, and when I open the lid again, the fan speed is corrected.

During the last days every 1st waking up (opening lid) produced the fan revving up. Closing and starting 2nd time solved it.

1 Like

Come to think of it, I’ve noticed the same thing from time to time, on a 15v3 that arrived in early December.

CORRECTION: It’s a 13v3.

coreboot version 4 on 13v3 and I can get the fan to rev up by plugging in the charger cord.

I also experience the occasional high fan speed upon wake syndrome, on my Librem 13v2 (L13V2-US-I7) that shipped in September 2018. I replaced the OS with Ubuntu within days of first use, but I didn’t change any firmware. The fan only seems to stop when I power off the machine completely.

Also experiencing this on a librem 13 v4, CPU stuck at 400Mhz, fans running at full speed.

the fix is to keep opening and closing the laptop until it stops.

1 Like

can anyone confirm if this is a firmware issue or is it something on the higher ring ?

Same here with a Librem 15v3 which have Coreboot from May this year. I guess it’s the latest.

It has now officially been a full year since @mladen’s response that the coreboot team was looking into this. I wonder if there has been any progress? I do appreciate all the excitement that the phone has been getting, but sometimes I worry that there may not be sufficient resources to address some of the really frustrating issues with existing hardware that customers have been working around for a long time.

3 Likes

This bug is so ridiculous!

Any time i change the power state of my laptop it drops the CPU to 400Mhz and spins the fans up!

I just plugged my charger in and CPU throttled to 400Mhz??

Any updates on this?