CPU fan stuck at high speed sometimes

Hi all,

Maybe these steps will help reproduce.

I use my laptop plugged in via HDMI with a USB-C hub (keyboard/mouse/headset).

If i plug in my charger the CPU drops to 400MHz, i then have to use a gnome plugin called “CPU-Z” to tell the CPU governor to use 100% of the CPU, everything is fine then.

If i then let the laptop go to sleep for around 15 minutes (eating lunch) and return, when i wake the laptop, the fan then spins at 100% and the CPU is then throttled to 400MHz, however this time the “CPU-Z” plugin can not recover this, so i have to unplug the power adapter & HDMI, shut the laptop lid and let it go into hibernation.

When i then open the laptop, the fan is throttled down again and “CPU-Z” can then tell the governor to use 100% of the CPU again.

I hope this information can help.

Adam

I can reproduce these steps without fail on a librem 13 v4 every time

Possibly related with: https://github.com/erpalma/throttled

Surprisingly, after I wrote my comment here I didn’t get that error again. But I also played around with some distros and ended up with Manjaro, using the 5.2 kernel. I’m not sure if this was the solution or maybe that I installed TLP and did some settings for the CPU_HWP. Either way, no weired fan actions and no freezes anymore!

So, if it is interesting for anyone. I got some trouble with Manjaro and switched back to Linux Mint. I also updated Coreboot to 4.11 - After a while I got the weired fan back and it seems again that a kernel update (from 5.0 to 5.3) solved this issue for me. Because I did the same TLP CPU_HWP edit (to get sure that this won’t happen) but afterwards the fan got still mad. With the following kernel update everything is fine, till now.

Ok, kernel update didn’t help. Occasionally the fan is stlll getting weird after sleep…

@ollrich can you still produce this with some consistency? If so, I have a test build I’d like you to try, so shoot me a PM

@MrChromebox It still happens occasionally but not really with consistency. Every 2 to 5 wake ups from suspend, sometimes it needs more to trigger that problem.
I’m using a small workaround and put my machine to suspend via systemctl suspend not by closing the lid. That is helping a little bit (maybe after 12 to 15 wake ups the error than happens) but doesn’t solved it.

Is this a test build I could use on my daily driver? or could this be problematic?

can you do me a favor and install the lm-sensors package, and run watch -n 1 sensors to get an updated temp output, and then reproduce the issue. I’m curious if any of the temp readings are incorrect/invalid when the issue occurs. I’ve suspended 100+ times over the past few days and unable to reproduce it here

@MrChromebox it took a while but I got the error just now. Seems like nothing happend to the temp output

Screenshot%20from%202020-02-14%2009-30-35

@MrChromebox is there anything else I can help with?

I was wondering if the CPU temp was being reported incorrectly / too high in cases where the fan speed is stuck at max, but that appears to not be the case. Need to do some more digging it seems

May it be helpful:
Had it a lot with my L13 two years ago, but it got better with PureOS updates. Still the same coreboot etc. it was shipped with.
Now I’d say I get it every twentieth time or less.