CPU usage when compiling on the Librem Mini

Thanks, I’ll look into doing that.

Thermal design would allow much higher,

I’ve set it to 20/35 for starters. What would be a safe upper limit (is it only limited by PSU and cooler capability)?

The extra wattage is definitely making a difference, I’m compiling now at 1.7GHz where as before it was 900-1000MHz.

2 Likes

yooooo ! bellow zero cooling with nitrogen on the LMini … free-software get’s the next world record at CPU OCing … i think you need to find a way to cool the VRM as well if you’re going to max the juice from the PSU :wink:

Compiling now at 3GHz, temps around 55C with occasional spikes up to 70C

1 Like

28/50 should be no problem

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’m not sure if it’s good idea to discuss non-Purism products here, so please let me know if it’s not.
@morgan as you seem have experience in passive cooling, how to you think this system would perform?

how to you think this system would perform?

If you want to use it as a box to connect to your TV to watch movies it will probably do an ok job.

If you want it for doing serious work then I think you’ll be very disappointed. A 2 core/thread Celeron is not a good CPU. Here’s a benchmark comparing the Celeron to the Librem Mini’s CPU: https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/657/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-8565U_vs_Intel_Mobile_Celeron_Dual-Core_5205U.html

Thanks, the Celeron is seems just an option:

10th Generation Intel® Core™ or Celeron® processors.

I’m more interested how that case performs compared with what you did.

If we’re just talking about cases then that case can probably handle the full 15W of the Celeron’s TDP, but it will probably be pretty toasty. The whole computer weighs only 1.2KG, the HDPlex case alone weighs 3.5KG and is rated for 65W TDP.

If you wanted to put the Librem Mini motherboard in that case you’d be very limited by thermals and power draw.

I can’t make any further comparison because I don’t know anything about the inside of the case, what kind of block is on the die, if there are any heatpipes, how the heatpipes are attached to the case, etc.

Judging by the height of the case my guess would be that the top of the case is sitting directly on top of the CPU die or heat spreader with the mounting points build into the top of the case.

If you want a cheap (but ugly) way to passively cool a Librem Mini (or any of these NUC style computers) here’s what you do.

Buy a cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO (I’d probably go for something beefier like an Alpenfohn Matterhorn).

With the motherboard removed, cut a hole in the Librem Mini’s case below the CPU that’s big enough to fit the cooler through.

Then find some method to secure the cooler to the motherboard, be careful not to apply too much pressure to the CPU.

Thanks. I’m still chasing VESA-mountable variants, to be placed on back of the monitor.
Maybe it would be hard to achieve a good trade-off with TDP such way, I don’t know, it just my wish currently.
Anyway, since HDPlex cases are heavy I suppose they don’t have VESA-mountable models? Then I probably left with vendor-supplied case…

There are no VESA adaptors listed on their site. I think the weight of the H1 case might be an issue but I don’t know what the upper limit is for mounting onto a monitor. You could always stand your monitor on top of the case instead.

I wouldn’t recommend any Intel-based solution for that honestly. A $50 ARM-based SBC will do a better job of video decoding, support HDMI 2.0/HDR, and use a fraction of the power.

I ran a Chromebox as a media center for years (several diff generations), until it became clear Intel really doesn’t care about the HTPC market. 10th-gen chips that still lack native HDMI 2.0 / HDR support under Linux? No thanks.

2 Likes

I hoped to combine power enough to do compiling/dev work with flexibility of a box hanging at the back of the monitor.
Maybe I still want too much…

For the reference, I do development on this, currently:

model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 847 @ 1.10GHz
1 Like

For the reference, I do development on this, currently:

model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 847 @ 1.10GHz

You’d be very happy with a Librem Mini

I was just looking for something unrelated on Ebuyer and came across this which I think might be of interest to you: https://www.ebuyer.com/868176-startech-thin-client-mount-vesa-mounting-bracket-accsmnt?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51482424539&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsqmEBhDiARIsANV8H3bOyn9xA9zROraOqMk3XobuKLNkR7OROnEMsujvqkHZAcI0YpvQHfEaAlFZEALw_wcB

Seems the link is inaccessible to me:

Access Denied

You don’t have permission to access “http://www.ebuyer.com/” on this server.

Search for this - “StarTech Thin Client Mount - VESA Mounting Bracket”

1 Like

Probably better to learn to spot and trim tracking BS.

https://www.ebuyer.com/868176-startech-thin-client-mount-vesa-mounting-bracket-accsmnt

2 Likes