Ctrl - Alt - Del Equivalent?

Like topic says…

Firefox picks random moments to hang the whole system needing a reboot. A Ctrl-Alt-Del would to close FF would be nice, or to close any file hanging.
Tnx
~s

1 Like

This can be handled via an application called System Monitor, Task Manager, Usage, etc. (I’m not sure what it’s called in PureOS.)

The Usage app on the Librem 5 is basically the same thing.

You just have to look at the running processes, find Firefox, select it, then “End Process” or something to that effect.

You can also end a process from the terminal with the kill command (plus any required argument or option): [HowTo] Dealing with unresponsive applications or desktops - Debian User Forums

Some distros, Linux Mint with MATE desktop environment, for example, have an optional “Force Quit” button in the panel (i.e. in the taskbar).

1 Like

I think in at least one case it seemed to me we DO have this. Plug in mouse/keyboard to the L5 and then press CTRL+ALT+F1 or F2 or F3 orF4 or whatever. One of the function keys goes to the GUI, but the others go to terminals that are separate from the GUIs and the GNOMEs and the Phosh and any of that stuff. Then inside that terminal you have a backdoor to kill things.

Librem 5 iirc has that same stuff, even though it’s a little harder to use than on a desktop.

1 Like

It’s not clear if @Sharon was using a laptop/desktop running PureOS, or the Librem 5 running PureOS.

2 Likes

You can use this keyboard shortcut to close the current active application:

Alt+F4

Confirmed to work on my Librem 5 USA.

1 Like

Really. I need a mouse and keyboard just to close a simple file that can’t run properly under PureOS!!! The fast way is hold power off button.

Thanks anyway but there’s a lot I’ll do to turn this piece of into something that works for least an hour - but Puri should have had the foresight and less ego and added a press and hold and tap for example.

No wonder it takes 6 hours to send a test text in the same room.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s the first time something actually works.

1 Like

L5 device. If it’s the desktop, then I’d post in the PureOS forum. I don’t find problems with PureOS on the desktop. But I’ll try to be even more precise next time, which some skip over anyway.

Not a good day. Wake up to dozens of issues with this L5 device advertised as a “smart phone”. It’s not smart, it’s not even clever.

1 Like