CTRL+M move message keyboard shortcut not working in Geary 46.0

I’m having an issue with Geary 46.0 where the CTRL+M move message keyboard shortcut does not work. Every other keyboard shortcut as displayed by CTRL+? works as expected.

I thought it be a conflict with an overriding GNOME keyboard shortcut. I searched through all assigned keyboard control panel shortcuts, to see if CTRL+M was already assigned. Did not find any. Assigned an empty one to CTRL+M and that worked, indicating that it was not already assigned.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this issue? If so, let me know and I’ll open a GNOME bug report.

I already searched the GNOME forum for it and did not find any mention.

1 Like

Not answering your actual question but CTRL+M seems to work normally in Geary 40.0 so perhaps a regression. What do you mean by “does not work”? Elicits no response of any kind? Something else?

Is this a Gnome problem? Geary problem? Problem somewhere else?

Edit: Clarifying that this was testing on a Librem 5.

1 Like

Elicits no response, while other Geary shortcuts work as expected.

It appears to be a Geary problem.

1 Like

Back in the day, was not Control-M equivalent to a Carriage Return?

2 Likes

Yes.

That did cross my mind - which could mean that it isn’t a Geary problem.

However these days it is more complex because it can be that GUI applications receive the key press before any such interpretation e.g. as an ‘M’ key with the CTRL modifier set rather than as a 0x0D character … and leave the interpretation of that event to the application. (Hence, for example, the Librem 5 Terminal application does interpret CTRL+M as basically a carriage return; but no other application is obligated to behave the same way.)

It is also more complicated because events get looked at by different levels in the GUI object layering hierarchy i.e. the event may or may not percolate down to, for example, being interpreted as a shortcut key for a menu option. Some higher level GUI object may absorb the event, doing something with it, or not.

1 Like

Has anyone else been able to reproduce the issue?

I’m trying to figure out how to go about determining if another application is intercepting the CTRL-M keyboard sequence.

1 Like

If you want to spend time on it … what happens if you install Geary 46.0 on a desktop / laptop? Is this problem unique to the Librem 5? Actually, I may just be assuming that you are talking about Geary on the Librem 5. Are you?

1 Like

I’m already running Geary 46.0 (as per initial post) from flatpak on PureOS 11 Crimson on a Librem mini.

I should check and see if I can reproduce w/Geary 46.0 on QubesOS.

1 Like

Is it a possibility to run Geary 40.0 from flatpak on the same hardware and operating system and version?

1 Like

Sorry, I misread your previous post.

Looking for ways to downgrade flatpak apps I came across Warehouse.

I shows the following downgrade options, but not one for the 40.0 release. I’ll try the 44.1 release and see what happens.

1 Like

44.1 release exhibits same problem with CTRL-M move message keyboard shortcut.

1 Like

I couldn’t find any flatpak versions of Geary 40.0.

I did find the Geary source code for v40.0

The Geary gitlab source repository releases page is blank

If you know of someplace where I can download the v40.0 binaries without having to build from source, please link.

1 Like

I believe Geary v40.0 is used in Byzantium, so you can test it if you have a spare USB drive.

Hm, I’ll try spinning it up under Gnome Boxes.

1 Like

It certainly is on the Librem 5.

1 Like

Just tested CTRL-M shortcut on Geary 43.0 on PureOS 10 Byzantium and it works.

Seems to be a regression of some sort.

2 Likes

Okay, you can try using GNOME Boxes with Crimson to confirm if keyboard shortcuts for Geary works there or not.

CTRL-M shortcut works with Geary 43.0 from PureOS repos in Crimson.

CTRL-M shortcut stops working after installing Geary 46.0 from flathub.org in Crimson boxes VM.

1 Like

Okay, if there is no existing (closed) issue about it on the GitLab repository, create one:

I found an existing issue that I believe might have the same root cause.

1 Like