Current state of Librem 5 usability?

Well dang. There goes that excuse. Then I’ll just admit to getting a kick out of being a little off the beaten path.

Which, in my obscure mind, makes me more want to have everything not FAT if possible. Just in case some wannabe criminal gets my card in hand but has an everyday PC or Mac. Can’t read my card, can’t get my contents. And they’re probably too lazy to look into it. I mean… can you imagine what kind of damage they could do to me if they found out I liked Futurama or saw all the stupid pictures of my dogs?

1 Like

I mean, if the concern is loss/theft, encryption is the only appropriate solution. Hoping the other party doesn’t know the filesystem is.

If the goal is cross system compatibility that is the whole reason to use a fat filesystem. (You mentioned getting files from an old device so FAT is the way to go for that particular requirement)

For cross-platform encryption you’re looking at pgp most likely.

This is something of a non sequitur. Linux (and Linux users) can still choose support (and use) formats that are proprietary. Maybe the two parts of that sentence were not intended to be logically related.

Wikipedia says that Microsoft published the specification and implies that therefore exFAT has ceased being proprietary. Wikipedia also notes however that Microsoft holds relevant patents. Regardless of all that, it is fair to ask: who controls evolution of the exFAT file system?

In my opinion, exFAT is still to be avoided unless you specifically need it for compatibility.

As a final step to moving the library on your instructions for putting music on the L5, I deleted the “Music” directory in the home directory, then did an “ln -s” to the music directory on the card. Lollypop simply saw all the music where it expected it to be.

2 Likes

I probably wouldn’t have done that - because then if you want to use the phone sometimes when a uSD card is not present, the Music directory will be broken.

I think Lollypop is perfectly capable of being pointed at the actual directory on the uSD card (taking into account whether you are using a static mount point configured in /etc/fstab as I am, or letting it mount automatically into e.g. /media/purism/...) but it was so long ago that I did that, that I have forgotten. Now when I start Lollypop it is always just pointing at the uSD card, which is where all my music is - but ~/Music still exists and is empty.

If you want to go down the road that you have then you may be better off using ~/Music as a mount point for the uSD card (and hence leaving it present as a directory) or maybe using a subdirectory of ~/Music as the mount point.

In response to concerns about Music not being there if I were to pull the card.

Fair enough, but in my case I expect the card to permanently reside in the phone, so it won’t be an issue for me (though likely will be for someone else). I will pull it to update the library from time to time but the phone will of course be powered off when I do that.

The quick read I did of Lollypop’s instructions made it sound like it could ONLY go through ~/Music, which is why I did that. (fstab is much more complicated to use and if you fubar the file you might not be able to boot the phone.)

It can be pointed to multiple directories. I’m using it this way with my music collection on SD card.

1 Like

Yeah, I know that…now. But I might as well leave it as-is.

One thing that (I think) belongs here: It would be nice if the lock screen showed the charge percentage, rather than a vague icon. Having to unlock the phone just to check how the battery is doing (and it drinks power so thirstily this has to be done) is a bit of a pain.

I finally have a Librem 5 with a modem that works with 4G service via a SIMple plan from Purism (which is on the AT&T network). Phone calls work, SMS works, MMS works if you have mobile data and (at least in my case) data roaming also enabled, the 3.5" jack works for both input and output (assuming you have selected the appropriate input device in Settings), wifi works, my USB-C dock works and provides power delivery in and USB inputs and HDMI output. I probably need to do a legit review of the Librem 5 (which I can now actually call a phone), but in short it now has all capabilities I need my phone to have at the moment. Granted, I had to drink the Koolaid and give Purism $40/month for my cell service, but it’s working, and that’s cool. Well done, Purism. Please make your business practices as cool as this device so I can recommend you to others. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s on the way. Manjaro phosh implemented it, and it’s quite nice to have. It isn’t in PureOS yet because it’s not quite finished

3 Likes

On 2022-05-01 I started a one week trial of using the Librem 5 as my primary more. Read here my experiences.

9 Likes

Hello, thank you for sharing your thoughts in your blog, it was pleasant to read !

1 Like

How do you get to the desktop, as shown in the pictures?

I get the app drawer and can’t close it. The V button at the top (which is supposed to do that) never appears.

The rat photo is really nice.

2 Likes

More rat-pics! :slight_smile:

Interesting question. It took me some time to figure it out on how to get it, actually, you can’t, but it is a kind of artifact that happens when taking a screenshot of the screen when only the screenshot application is open. So make sure there are no application open other than the screenshot application, and make then a screenshot of the screen.
When you connect an external screen, in convergence mode you can also see the desktop.

OK.

I did already tell support the documentation was out of date (or there was a bug, or some combo of the two) because the V control isn’t present, and they said they’d forward my observation.

John, did you build a DIY or follow some instructions? Either way, could you share your build or a link to the instructions?