Custom clearance EU, especially L5

Enough to get it delivered, or enough to make sure that it isn’t returned?

I can only say that in my non-Librem-related case, knowing when it was shipped, following the order using the tracking number, and being aware that it should have been delivered on a certain day didn’t guarantee anything about the delivery. Different countries and cities within those countries may result in a different experience. In my case, I contacted DHL Express and told them of the mistake, but despite reassurance that the parcel would not be sent back, it was still sent back to the sender.

1 Like

I have learnt to request that my phone number is printed on the address label. It helps if the delivery guy can phone me if there is any problems. This is of course depending on the country and the delivery guy. Some try more than others.
I learnt it the hard way when a parcel was left for a month in a warehouse and the transporter did not notify me nor the sender.

4 Likes

Been there, done that. Called customer services. Got oral instructions on the phone to visit:

https://www.dhl.de/express/dhl4you?sendungsnummer=XXX

which is essentially your permission for DHL to clear customs for you. (also you need to upload your bill and documents…)

P.S. One would think that link is prominently visible in lots of DHL FAQs, but it is barely discoverable at all.
P.P.S. And lastly, Germans will need the Zolltarifcode (or whatever that is in German, with 11 digits):
8517 1200 00 0 Telefone für zellulare Netzwerke oder andere drahtlose Netzwerke

5 Likes

it also depends if they know HOW … i.e training (maybe they are hired from fresh immigrants ) … it happens

My Librem5 package was also in Leipzig on Friday (19.02.) until Saturday. I had to provide no additional info, I just got an email and a SMS from DHL with a link where I could pay the customs/vat. I instantly payed and the package was delivered today.

5 Likes

It is amazing how differently the same product is handled even when being delivered to the same country. At least your chances of getting something are higher than playing in a lottery.

1 Like

Next time i buy it over China - no customs and no tax :blush:

German customs are so …

1 Like

Amazing that you got an email and SMS from DHL in advance. Did you have a DHL Express/Business account?

Thanks for your help.
I called last week with my DHL HUB and they told me that all necessary information was received… fingercross

I do have a DHL account but registered to a different email address and I do not have an express account. But Purism had both my mobile number and this email address. I guess that Purism gave DHL the information.

Purism of course had my email as well, but I gave them a landline number instead of a mobile number. But that still doesn’t explain why I didn’t receive at least an email from DHL.
Maybe some regional dispatch centers want to force/nudge you into paying cash.

Check (ENTER) your trucking number with (DE) Login or without (EN) here:
https://www.dhl.de/en/privatkunden.html
https://www.dhl.de/en/privatkunden/dhl-sendungsverfolgung.html

Therefore @execrable saw his package in DHL Leipzig. Just perfect time for someones Login as private person and confirm with DHL (Express) that you are aware of this upcoming delivery.

Perhaps this one:

And, thanks @spaetz for the link above, should help a lot!

P.S. With very same DHL Privatkunden Login, works here as well (but only when trucking number already linked to it):
https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/pakete-empfangen/express-sendung-empfangen.html

I called the customs in Leipzig - this was very helpful for me. The customs wait since last Thursday for more information. The DHL Hub Leipzig does not respond and does not provide any feedback.

Great work :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Perhaps this one:

yeah, no, I activated that weeks ago and added the parcel there then as well. Didn’t change anything. You get notified but no way to pay VAT/fees.
I also saw my package on the way, also when it was in Leipzig. I just checked that manually all the time, on dhl.de and via the tracking url sent by Jolla.

1 Like

Yes, you can trust nobody with a delivery. It is a lottery. Maybe you get your parcel - maybe it is sent to another city (or another country) … It is called “logistics”. Gone are the days when you could get a parcel by bus in a few hours time. Or get it by post - slow but reliable.

You are very kind - I would have seen it as sloth (one of the seven deadly sins) :-).

I already understood that there wasn’t your fault, other than already recommended:

Therefore now I’m adding link to official, Germany only, contacts from August 2020. Hope this helps for future deliveries within Germany (falls ein Paket festhängt und auf Verzollung wartet).

Went through German customs 5 days after arriving. Cost including all DHL fees was EUR 113.48.
UPDATE: and arrived in my home town now. crossing thumbs

6 Likes

Congratulations !

I will probably never get mine … :sob:

Weather forecast for today said: Pure :sun_with_face:!

1 Like