Custom clearance EU, especially L5

Ok, somebody still seems to work at DHL

Shipment has been given a release by Customs.

One week later …

I got a message from DHLexpress that my phone is arriving. I chose to handle the customs declaration myself - let’s see how it works. Earlier customs handling has been very smooth.

2 Likes

Which country, if I may ask?

It is delivered to Finland.

1 Like

The phone has arrived in the customs. However, I need an invoice or order confirmation stating the contents of the parcel and the value. I sure got one but it was in September 2017 so I have problems finding it. It could be a good idea if Purism could send an invoice with the delivery statement. Perhaps there is one attached to the parcel but I do the customs declaration myself and the parcel is in DHL Express storage. They store the parcel for three days free of charge but then it will cost me 6:20 euro including VAT.

It is not so difficult to clear the customs by yourself once you have the order confirmation or invoice. If someone is interested in how it works the clearance process is shown here (in English):

It can be done online. It is much easier now. Earlier it was quite an
awful process.

3 Likes

Since you ordered in Sep 2017, I assume that you are an early backer (crowdfunder). So the price is publicly known. You should also be able to log into your account on the Purism shop and look to see whether the order / invoice are available there. Otherwise if you really need a copy of the order etc., you should email support@puri.sm ASAP.

4 Likes

Yes, but there is only the invoice for the spare battery. The phone and the battery should be in the same parcel. And I have sent an email to support. I could perhaps send both separate invoices to customs but I do not know how stringent they are.

No big deal but there is always some paperwork …

I did not have to send the documents to the customs - it was enough to state the value. But I suppose they can ask for the documents later.In fact it took me only ten minutes to clear the parcel and pay the VAT (which I can retrieve later because I have a VAT number).

But I have not yet received the parcel …

1 Like

That s my shipping track! But i had to pay costum fee to the Yellowdriver but no receipt what made me wondering (109 €) ? is that 19 % VAT or what… i am waiting the courier.
But I think Purism has to think about how to serve the European clientele in the future, especially commercial customers with regard to tax, etc. ( German GWG, Abschreibung…)

3 Likes

This was lightning quick delivery. Anyway, you can still write an E-mail to @dhl.com, contact them, explain … ask for receipt … please see my post #57 here/above. Hope this will turn out just fine.

yeaaa, but see the first days… perhaps NSA or similar did not want to let the package out :innocent:!
Bildschirmfoto_2021-03-01_16-33-33|690x298

2 Likes

I’ve got order summary from Purism support - exactly what is needed. Now I just wait for the delivery.

1 Like

Not a long wait. A few minutes ago I got my Librem 5. I really can’t complain - the delivery and customs have been fast and smooth. I have not yet started my Librem 5 because it is still charging.

In fact I got my phone delivered to my door for 600 dollar (599) because I will get VAT return. So BIG thanks to all at Purism ! I paid three and a half years ago for something that wasn’t even started and to be honest I did not think I would hold the phone in my hands ever … So for me Purism delivered exactly what they promised. That is rare.

8 Likes

Why?

Because I have VAT number and these days computers and mobile phones are essential in my work (handling our fiber network).

1 Like

What was the basis for VAT and tax calculation?
Original price 549 $ respecitvely 599 $, or didn’t this work out and they took the current price (799 $) as basis?

@nhu @sheng-fui @drs @execrable @Quarnero @tommes @spaetz

1 Like

Good question, the invoice document I got from DHL does only state the taxes and not the basis.

But I guess its the 599$. I payed 108€ tax on the total price of 691$ (phone+accessories) which was listed on the delivery slip. 108€ is roughly 19% of the converted price.

1 Like

for the time being no idea what the 109 € were for and from what they were calculated.
I suspect but that is customs and not VAT

Customs bill bill only states 12.50€ DHL fee (or to be precise a capital provisioning fee; essentially the fee that they are paying first and then demanding the money back from me) and 98.60€ EUSt (“Einfuhrumsatzsteuer” = import value added tax). Which would make the base value 518,95€, given a 19% tax rate, if I am not mistaken.
This roughly translates to a base value of USD 625 (depending on day and exchange rate) which seems about right, given that I added a battery of USD 29 to my original backing of USD 599.

4 Likes

Compare your 12.50 to the 60 euros that DHL asks for customs fee in Greece. DHL is one of the worse companies in this respect. I can not believe that they ask 60 euros (plus of course the customs taxes). Next time I will not buy anything if DHL is involved.
I hope purism listens.