Customizing the L5's ringtone

On this post there are more sounds that ring tone for incoming call. I love the Power on sound by Antonio Paternina Alvarez. How can I enable it? Can I? Is this sound you are talking about @spaetz ? I think i will use it for incoming calls too.

Yes exavtly that one :grinning:. It is already installed under the name system-ready.oga or somesuch but seems to be never used. I just copied the file and installed it according to the insttuctions in my blog post.

1 Like

How about the old Majel Barrett sounds old Trek fans used to put up in the old Win/95 days? Especially the one when you start a program that says “Working …”

3 Likes

Reminds me of Independence Day 1996 where Jeff Goldbloom’s Laptop said “Good morning, Dave.” I’ve read that it was an homage to Odyssey in Space.

At errors it could say: “I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.” And the lock screen could show that red LED. We have a TV that has such an LED pretty similar to HAL 9000.

1 Like

A little bit of nostalgia mixed with “good riddance” comes to mind - kind of like when compiz screen effects were all the rage. (Exception on that front: I still love wobbly windows to this day.) Noisy desktops were fun for a while, but got old. I particularly recall reading about ubuntu coming under fire for the drums it used to play when the greeter was ready for login, because it would disturb college classes.

The TV show “Babylon 5” offered a “Shadow Wars entertainment utility” CD-ROM for win95 - still available today for dirt cheap today at amazon - which includes what today might be called an “audio theme” that automatically tied win95 events to audio snippets from the show: “Aw, Nuts!”, “You are executing an illegal order!”, “I have to deny your request”, “Are you sure you wish to go through with this?”, etc. That awful OS would generate so many errors & prompts that after hearing the clips umpteen gazillion times (before switching to Redhat in 1997), many are burned into my brain & I can replay them in my head just by reading the 8 character filename. Of course I sucked all those wav files off the disc & have them at the ready should I ever need them, or feel the need to reminisce. I know my kde plasma desktop offers a slew of events that could have an audio file tied; I’ve never looked into how many such events gnome offers.

1 Like

The phosh-mobile-settings app now allows customizing the phone call ringtone, SMS, and instant messages alerts as of 0.27.0. It can be found under the Feedback tab. Only OGG files are supported right now.

Changelog: https://gitlab.gnome.org/guidog/phosh-mobile-settings/-/blob/main/NEWS
Supported formats: https://gitlab.gnome.org/guidog/phosh-mobile-settings/-/merge_requests/50/diffs

How about oga files? They worked before the update…

Never mind, I converted it.

“oga” is just another extension for OGG containers. All you have to do is to change their filename.

Ah, oké. I thought that might work, but I went and converted my files again anyway.

Another query: i have noticed that the default.json does not change when the ringtone is changed through the Mobile Settings app. Where is the new settting saved then?

Ooga ogga chaka, I can’t stop this feeling …

1 Like

This is an old guy detector.

1 Like

For those who had to resort to the internet: 1968 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooked_on_a_Feeling

So I guess we know what @tracy is using for his ringtone. :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks to @spaetz for his OP for us noobs to be able to change the ringtone to our favorites.

Happy with the new customized sounds thanks to your instructions. Also a big thanks for all your other works for L5 and Mobian and ‘stuff that doesn’t matter’.

You are a were that @spaetz info is old and there is a simple selection gui to do this now? Look at the Feedback tab in mobile settings app (phosh-mobile stettings).

3 Likes

Ehhrr…no I wasn’t aware. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I would love to add a disclaimer to that effect, but I cannot edit my own old post.

Your OP is still valid isn’t it? As in… it works the same as the GUI option and does not interfere if the GUI option is not enabled?

1 Like

I have no clue as I don’t know what the gui settings do.

@JR-Fi
Just checked the phosh mobile setting (app, 0.24.1 by Guido Günther). In the Feedback tab there’s only the option to set it to full/quiet/silent. No options for customizing ring tones.