Data from the Librem 5's Vivante GC7000Lite GPU

Hello all! I’d like to get a sense of the extent to which the Librem 5 is leveraging the computational power of the embedded Vivante GC7000Lite GPU. I’d like to compare various situations to see if it is better with 2D or 3D situations, etc. Typically, there are programs that allow us to visualize what the GPU is up to, such as nvtop and intel_gpu_top. In the case of NXP, there is a proprietary program called Verisilicon IDE with something called vAnalyzer, but I’d need a corporate account to get it and I don’t think it would even work because the L5 is using the etnaviv driver. (Embedded Linux for i.MX Applications Processors | NXP Semiconductors)

On to etnaviv, there are some gpu tests on their github but they look to be very basic/primitive. (GitHub - etnaviv/etnaviv_gpu_tests: Etnaviv GPU tests: This repository contains various tests for Vivante GPUs based on the Etnaviv DRM driver) They are so old that I’m having trouble building them successfully. I’m still going to try to get them going on my L5, but I thought I’d reach out to see if anyone has ever seen some kind of visualization software for the Vivante line of GPUs.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Just for the Record GC7000Lite GPU is for Librem 5 Fir, not yet Released. Evergreen is using GC7000 GPU.
Free Software GLES 3.O in on way for Librem 5. Current GLES2.0

Purism Community.

4 Likes

@willamtries You can try Gallium HUD (overview at e.g. Gallium Hud · the almost definitive guide on how to use and customize it – manero's blog). You should also be able to get the perfmon bits there: [Mesa-dev] [PATCH 00/12] etnaviv: support performance monitor

Works for both GC7000 and GC7000Lite as both are using the etnaviv mesa driver.

5 Likes

i checked and GPU-load is not reported for glxgears, is there a way to enable GC7000 performance monitor for GPU, it only shows fps and cpu? I filed a bug report with mesa to get the entaviv driver updated or upstream the Vivante kernel patch so that GPU-load as a % GPU, just like % CPU load in cycles, can be enabled on the GC7000.

2 Likes

3D-engines can run up to 250k triangles with very simple shaders @30 fps. More complex shaders and you can easily hit 50k triangles @10fps. Tested in 480x960 px (150% screen scale). So with 200% screen scale you can get a bit more performance, but I think it’s clear that this is a very low end GPU.

2 Likes