Decentraleyes & Home Button for GNOME Web/Epiphany Browser

A home button is a must for any browser. Anyone not agree?

Decentraleyes

https://synz.io/
Protects you against tracking through “free”, centralized, content delivery. It prevents a lot of requests from reaching networks like Google Hosted Libraries, and serves local files to keep sites from breaking. Complements regular content blockers. This would work in conjunction with HTTPS everywhere which is already built into GNOME Web. This would also carry over to the Librem 5 as well. A win win situation.
I’m not suggesting a ton of web extensions. I am suggesting that Dentralized be integrated or “baked” into the browser just like HTTPS everywhere is. Maintaining the extensions capability in the past was tough for Epiphany/Gnome web, which is why it was dropped. So since that is tough…this would be just another way to increase privacy and security. So the suggestion was based on what would be something that would compliment and enhance the existing integrated HTTPS in Gnome web. Well Decentraleyes fits the bill. This suggestion maybe seen as something as similar to Brave Browser’s Shields. Gnome Web Shields maybe?

Any thoughts?

1 Like

You can expand that list to all of those basically:

Prism Break’s browser add-ons recommendations

@Honeybadger
Great list of Add-Ons. I also use Privacy Badger.
The reason I suggested Decentraleyes is because it addresses what the already baked in HTTPS everywhere does not. They are a big complement to eachother and will add a lot of protection. I am all about adding the others if indeed Gnome/Web has not addressed those thing in time. But Gnome Web definitely needs a home button. :slight_smile:

@Honeybadger Don’t use Prism Break as the only option. Privacytools.io is another option you can consider checking out. I have myself contributed to it.

Given the choice, I prefer not to have a home button. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ctrl + T to open and switch to a new tab for me which opens what i want.

edit : on the desktop i mean not mobile on L5

That’s great for those who have that option. Yet most people have the option of a home button as well on most other browsers. Chrome gives you the option to enable or disable the home button. And I am sure not many people want to use ctrl+ T if this is the same browser that will be used on the Librem 5.

1 Like

@reC
I would want a home button on the desktop as well. 1 home button vs using 2 keys.
The option should be there, like most browsers. Letting the individual decide.
And since the L5 is essentially using the same exact browser. It would only make more sense.

1 Like

by default firefox allows every user to customise what buttons they want on the interface (right click and customise). i take my home button down immediately after install.

for me moving mouse is harder than 2 key combination especially if i can program my keyboard to macro the two keypresses into a SINGLE one …

1 Like

I hope firefox will be on librem5, i saw it running on pinephone running postmarketos.
Anyway be able to install firefox addon on epiphany will be welcome too

The new tab + button is also an option if Ctrl+T isn’t, but I definitely prefer for end users to have the ability to customise what buttons there are, rather than some high power with absolute UX authority saying “Thou shalt not have a home button”.

Also [in an attempt to nudge this thread away from the minor subtopic of home buttons], I do think it would be cool if GNOME Web could support privacy-related WebExtensions like Decentraleyes and many others, or some of that functionality were to be built into the browser.

1 Like

Decentraleyes - I am suggesting that Dentralized be integrated or “baked” into the browser just like HTTPS everywhere is. Maintaining the extensions capability in the past was tough for Epiphany/Gnome web, which is why it was dropped. So since that is tough…this would be just another way to increase privacy and security. So the suggestion was based on what would be something that would compliment and enhance the existing integrated HTTPS in Gnome web. Well Decentraleyes fits the bill. This suggestion maybe seen as something as similar to Brave Browser’s Shields.

Home button - Having the option would be the best way to go as most people have those options in other browsers. New tab button is great but it is not a home button. As many people not use it there are just as many of us who do.

1 Like