Disable Pure-OS Store

Because I recently re-flashed my device, I find myself remembering all the things I did previously but did not backup (probably user error). Small scripts, niggly items . . .

One that has been really bothering me: how to disable PureOS-Store from running. I never use it. I don’t like it. I shut it down manually every time I reboot but that is annoying.

I recall there being something in the forums awhile ago from @dos about disabling PureOS-Store from automatically starting upon reboot. Does somebody know easily where that thread is or can someone please tell me how to disable it?

Thank you!

3 Likes

sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.Software.desktop

7 Likes

Huh. I hadn’t tried to do this and I just ignored the store, but I also don’t use it.

Is there a reason that the removal of the store app can’t be as simple as some sudo apt remove whatever command, instead of being a specific file manipulation?

5 Likes

I feel honored when you are on the forums - and more specifically when you respond to the likes of me. Please keep doing all the good things you do for free software!!

Now for the bad news: I do not see

/etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.Software.desktop

I do see

/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-software-service.desktop

Is that it?

7 Likes

Package dependencies.

It probably is for Byzantium. On Crimson and later, the command is as @guido.gunther has described.

4 Likes

Will setting Hidden=true in that file have the same result or does XDG autostart ignore anything but file deletion?

The Desktop Entry Specification says this:

Hidden should have been called Deleted. It means the user deleted (at their level) something that was present (at an upper level, e.g. in the system dirs). It’s strictly equivalent to the .desktop file not existing at all, as far as that user is concerned. This can also be used to “uninstall” existing files (e.g. due to a renaming) - by letting make install install a file with Hidden=true in it.

3 Likes

The former based on the provided specification. My intuition leads me to believe Hidden=false will re-enable the autostart service for the user.

looking into autostart … great idea, Thanks for the inspiration!! … made me wonder:
should that look like a list of ever invented software?
when I read DejaDup and Evolution I know Gnome Marketing made the choice for me -
how can I consider to use this 1/2 day warmth brick as a smart phone?

more interesting what other jobs are essential and what they actually mean.
Find out by trial and error?
Purism5 is permanent “fun” and it will keep me busy after retirement.
If I’d deliver the Linux desktops this way to my customers I would fry hamburgers nowadays.

Hope my makeshift phone will last a few more years.

1 Like
ls /etc/xdg/autostart

Find out by reading documentation, specifications, and/or wikis. Trial and error only works if you have a backup plan.

right.
removed a little bullshit and spyware like “parential controls” and the like … not booting any longer.
will sell the accu batteries in germany and bring the crap to the garbage collection next week.
so many years of 100% disappointment do not realy encurage to go on.
do not want to be reminded any longer the promise of a linux phone respecting privacy was just broken by a bunch of spyware from the beginning.
Phone Calls by SIP do not work without SIM card, phone calls with SIM card are very instable (with the matching B20 band modem) and so on and so on.
Librem5 was a wonderful promise and it kept me busy and motivated - now the patience is used up after so may years of 100% disappointment.

My other 25 Linux devices will make up for the brick. Puh, even Ubuntu Phone by that spanish vendor was easier to get to at least some results. Oh.
Good luck to the luckier users, I’m through, good bye.

1 Like

You should sell it!

4 Likes

Yes, on older versions it was called /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-software-service.desktop - sorry for the confusion.

6 Likes

The toplevel files in the librem5-base package define what a “non-removable” (at least not without breaking the system) dependency is and what can be removed. The removable ones are e.g. in gnome-recommends-all while the non-removable ones are in gnome-all.

Historically (due to the sub-optimal way the installer was built) almost everything was in the non-removable department. Over time more things move to recommends however that (as to my knowledge) isn’t finished. Filing issues in that repo / providing patches would be the right thing to do.

That said all things have their limits. I’d e.g. argue that pureos-store / gnome-software is an essential component that shouldn’t be removable as an end user friendly device should provide it. More advanced users can make it easily disappear e.g. by moving the icon to a folder.

It also recently became possible in Debian to remove the deb backend of gnome-software (so you’d keep it for flatpak but not for debs (which is the slow part that eats the memory)). Once that trickles down to PureOS that will be another option.

For current Byzantium / Crimson removing the autostart file is likely the best option as it still allows you to use it occasionally but you save the memory and startup time.

7 Likes

Additional followup citation:

Mobian/Tweaks - Debian Wiki

1 Like

Thanks for digging!

1 Like

It is really difficult to wrap my mind around the syntax for preventing the autostart of something being:

Hidden=true
1 Like

The docs start with

Hidden should have been called Deleted.

So I guess you’re not the only one :smile:

3 Likes

Can I also buy a battery? You can also put in the crap - I will collect your garbage. :smile: Better than throwing away.

2 Likes

I’ve removed the parental controls (sudo apt remove malcontent) and my phone is still perfectly happy. So whatever you removed in order to make the phone no longer boot, it wasn’t the parental controls.

I’m inclined to agree with you though that parental controls should not be installed by default.

Yep, sell the phone to @Ick for a nominal sum.

3 Likes

Just want to say I have no money for another device. I thought I get another one from game jam, but that’s another story. Anyway, everything is better than destroying the hardware, that was my core message. If batteries are still healthy, I really would buy one.

4 Likes