Disabling the USB Hub during Suspend

I know that the reliability fo waking for incoming calls and sms is linked to this hub being powered during suspend. One annoying by-product of this is that any plugging in or removing of a USB C cable will cause the phone to wake.

I find this behavior to be VERY annoying. I am wondering if I can disable to hub during suspend and am totally ok with not getting calls or SMS (who gets these anymore anyway?).

I would suggest that this feature get added to the mobile settings app as well. This would be something that it would be nice to be able to toggle.

@dos @guido.gunther

Thank you very much for any and all feedback.

1 Like

Well I do and that is my only way of communicating while using a cell phone. :studio_microphone: :loud_sound:

4 Likes

That is cool! I’m not dissing it.

There are people who still use horse and buggy as well. To each their own.

I personally just can’t stand the device turning on everytime a usb c cable is plugged in or out.

3 Likes

I recognize the turning on behaviour, but the L5 shutting down when the USB cable is getting removed, I can’t recall (except for the situation when the battery is depleated).
I’ll pay more attention to it when doing so the next time.

1 Like

It’s necessary to have the modem be available and ready quickly after resume from system suspend.

This is completely unrelated. The system needs to wake up on USB-C plug events to correctly configure input current limit, so charging can work reliably.

4 Likes

Ok so you performed in that way to fix the USB2.0 Errata issues for modem?
The last testing i did on Librem 5 look like the modem still ON in Suspend, modem look like different behavior like before from suspend.

1 Like

This is another completely unrelated matter. There were several fixes that touched USB deployed at about the same time, but were otherwise unrelated to each other.

4 Likes

Thank you. So that sound several improvement between Usb2.0 and Modem like wake up modem Superfast than Monitor Like Android/Linux Phones.

1 Like

@dos how did this work before we starting having wake from plug and unplug events. Before there was a time when plugging the cable in or out did not wake the phone.

1 Like

Dear 2disbetter i pretty sure that by just connect the usb-c cable the Librem 5 does not wake up, unless that the end-cable is also connected to Another which generates an Event.
Also @dos explained that it was performed in this way to Reliable charging and i guess too to improve Dock Mode Suspend

1 Like

It didn’t - it was broken and the limit would stay at 500mA regardless of what got negotiated over PD until woken up manually.

6 Likes

If I am fine with this, could I roll back to that?

1 Like

USB-C cables can contain circuit boards and processors.

2 Likes

You can edit the device tree to effectively revert the last commit from https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux/-/merge_requests/677.

You’re on your own with this though. Also, what you want is probably letting the phone wakeup and go to suspend soon afterwards without turning the screen on (which is a userspace thing that GNOME controls), rather than doing this kind of dubious kernel behavior changes.

4 Likes