Dlonk Introduction Topic

In the year 2004, when I was an elementary school child, I had become used to routinely using a game map drawing function on the family computer to draw little digital game worlds for me to play around in. One of the worlds I drew was home to a race of made-up beings called the Mools. The Mools were levitating skeleton-ghost creatures who glowed with blue energy. Once I learned how to disassemble the 3D game model assets using a shareware program given to me by a sibling who had access to the internet, I was able to modify the base asset used from the original game that I had used to depict the Mools, and using this I could make many funny-colored Mools. I created seven special Mools who each had their own funny colors, and dubbed these special agents the Chaos Mools because they were cool colors and looked cool, just like the Chaos Emeralds on the Sonic the Hedgehog game.

One of the seven Chaos Mools was “Dlonk the Shiny.” In general, if I need a name that is memorable for me and not for other people in a digital online space, I can always use names from places and characters from back in those days. We can scour the internet and never find any reference to “Dlonk the Shiny” or his fellow Chaos Mools.

In this way, I chose a name for my Purism account that is fairly anonymous and nonsensical, but also unique to me, in keeping with the idea of maintaining privacy.

But alas, I have in some sense failed. For human readers with limited attention span, you probably don’t know who I am or where I am from. However I heard somewhere that most text on the internet is consumed by machines moreso than by humans these days. To that end, there are hundreds and hundreds of words and information about myself, and even a long wiki article about my digital identity, which can all be tied back to “Dlonk the Shiny” given only the information that I have provided thus far on this account. Using these links, it is possible to obtain my real name, where I received my education, where I have been employed, and probably also where I live.

So if I can conclude that the machines can already know who I am, and where I am from – given only the posts I have made on this forum thus far – then is any introduction necessary for “Dlonk the Shiny”? What does information security look like in a world where we also want to share about ourselves and say hello to humans online? I have already doxxed myself into an oblivion.

Rather than upload a meaningful introduction myself, I offer you a challenge: Using the posts that I have made thus far on purism forums, connect the dots and determine my internet pseudonym outside purism forums, use that name to locate the wiki article about me under that pseudonym, and use the pseudonym to locate many hours of footage of me talking. Then, use the footage to train an AI to produce a lifelike audio file containing the sound of my own voice reading the long, wild and crazy wiki article about me that exists in that other online social sphere. Then, upload the AI-generated audio file in a reply to this introduction to prove you can, for fun.

I doubt anyone will want to do all that, but I lean towards believing that it should in theory be possible, which is already concerning enough. The possibility that I can imagine someone doing this might be reason enough for me to delete as much as I can of my digital identity while I still can. [I know, once it’s on the internet it’s never truly gone, but actively asking sites to stop hosting it might have a non-zero impact on deterring the problem.] I’ve considered deleting it all, but I never did. Maybe if you can win my insane game of capture [and AI generate] the flag, I’ll know it’s time for me to take it seriously and start the delete process and truly give up on the social media mind warping that led me to publicly post any of that stuff to begin with.

Edit: Actually, reading the entire Wiki article mentioned above would probably be a wastefully large amount of compute power for the current AI systems of today. So, let’s say an AI generated audio of my voice saying, “I’m Dlonk the Shiny and I don’t approve this message,” could also count as winning.

4 Likes

Yes, because we are not machines. Well, I am not. Well, I don’t think I am. :wink:

3 Likes

My introduction topic was not very good.

So, for other information, I am a software developer at my day job. In my hobby time, I tried to rewrite an open source replica of the game called Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne that was sold in the early 2000’s on CDs. For me it’s fun to see that 3D opengl world running on PureOS, but there are some gaps in the open source software for that hobby. The simulation that I constructed uses the formerly proprietary w3x format from the 2003 game for the game maps to play, and most people who construct w3x files use the proprietary map editing software to create them.

There is a supposedly open source map editor made in Visual Studio with C++ or something like that but last time I tried it, although it had a lot of good software render pipelines for displaying this unique format of 3D world and modifying them, the developer had never programmed in a way to create one of the maps from scratch. It was expected that it would start from files made on Windows in the proprietary map editor from the 2003 game, and then change around their contents. So, if anybody has any FOSS way to create .w3x files on PureOS I would be happy to know about it.

But, my current thought is that I will either have to write one, or spend substantial development time porting that other guys software to work on Linux and then fixing it to be able to make maps from scratch.

Edit: Also, when folks got interested in my game simulation project and wanted to contribute, often I was unavailable and did not catch up to them in terms of progress. So when I talk about the above, I am in part talking about wishful thinking. It seems that as soon as I was able to construct what I wanted, society pulled my strings to cause me to have less spare time to want it. I can’t tell if that’s some social media manipulation factor, or if it’s a poor excuse for being lazy on my part. But it’s probably one or the other.

3 Likes

I am lazy too, and like everybody nowadays, overworked, too busy and stressed by this crazy world we live in where everything has to be immediate.
This is why I didn’t pursue this adventure game you proposed, of searching and finding who you are: too time-consuming a hobby.
So since you made the effort to introduce yourself - your purism forum persona - why don’t you just give us the link to the wiki you mentioned?
I would gladly read it - but don’t count on me for the AI part of the challenge - too many PII to be given to those AI Apps for me to care to use any of them!

3 Likes

Maybe just not so controversial discussed. :wink:

2 Likes

lol :sweat_smile: And I created the topic as non-controversially as I could. I put the “controversial” bit on the last line, and it’s only 21 characters. And I initially didn’t include the emoji in the title. Oh well.

Anyway, I think the original post was interesting, but I’m not a gamer or software engineer, so I didn’t feel like I had anything to say. And I agree with @TiX0 about the AI stuff.

I hope you can eventually find a way to create .w3x files on PureOS, like you want. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Here is the same link using BreezeWiki:

Retera | The Hive Workshop+BreezeWiki

2 Likes

@Dlonk , if we were back in the “good 'ol days” of 4chan /b/ then someone would’ve already posted your high school yearbook photo and sent a pizza to your house. Alas, those days of human internet spelunking are long-gone. I agree with you 100% that SkyNet knows exactly who & where we are, but I (human) will not accept your challenge.

1 Like

I was baffled that you did indeed publish the link…it was more like a dare to you in my mind - so didn’t expect you’d really follow through!
Not being a gamer myself, and never really seriously interested in gaming, your story sounds to me as alien as if I were suddenly thrown into a Schismatrix circumlunar concatenate World…
But behind the words, I could still grasp the very human nature of your struggles and motivations - because we all have our own struggles with social interractions, don’t we?
Too bad I couldn’t watch the youtube videos, but since 2013 I have banned all 500+ google domains and all its “affiliates” (read: The Evil Squid’s mafiosi syndication rings) from all my communication devices.

1 Like