Do I need Volte and/or BM818?

yes

and I’m going to look up HSPDA and read a lot. Maybe it’s a answer too.

Ummm. I’ve no idea how to obtain anything in Terminal.

2 Likes

= “Run the command groups in the terminal, and then post the output here.”

purism@pureos:~$ groups
purism dialout sudo audio video systemd-journal render netdev feedbackd
purism@pureos:~$ 
1 Like

And in case progress is made …

purism dialout sudo audio video systemd-journal render netdev feedbackd`

the bolded item is what you are looking for. If it is missing then

sudo adduser purism dialout

then reboot your phone

then re-check the output from the groups command

then if it’s correct, rerun the BM818 tool and see whether the error message “Failed to get Modem FW version” has gone away.

Then you could get back to doing anything with VoLTE.

1 Like

Ahh. OK it reads:

purism sudo audio video systemd-journal render netdev feedback

so as irvinewade suggested below, I entered:

It’s missing so I typed:

and after entering password I get

The user ‘purism’ is already a member of ‘dialout’.

I rechecked by opening bm818-tool and it still reads

In hindsight and change of topic for a sec, I should have given the L5 a different name other than “purism”.

1 Like

Did you “then reboot your phone”?

If a group is missing and you add it with adduser then there won’t be change to the output from groups immediately but you may have then gotten confused and executed the adduser command twice, in which case I can believe that you will get that message (The user ‘purism’ is already a member of ‘dialout’.) the second time.

So from here … reboot the phone and then check the output from groups to make sure that dialout is showing.

2 Likes

I put in a ticket with our own tech support who in turn talked to the Rogers NOC. Our guy was surprised and also not impressed with their answer then we started talking about the L5 and our guy thought it was cool. Linux nerds are everywhere, why don’t they just acknowledge us?

This is what the Rogers NOC guy showed our tech:

Notice how he refers to it as “unbranded”. Like you say not part of the big boy group so we’re considered “unbranded”.

3 Likes

It now shows “dialout”.
BTW - I didn’t add any groups and there are none. I don’t even know how to add a group. But I checked and:
Chats > [+] and only Group is “New group message.”

BM818-tools still shows the same:

~s

1 Like

IMO, they are ‘puppet masters’. If they don’t like Linux, maybe someone should help Rogers off the Linux servers they use. :smirk:

2 Likes

:heavy_check_mark:

Then I’m out of ideas for why that tool is not working but until you can get past that and get it to show you the modem firmware version, I recommend not attempting to do anything with VoLTE.

Maybe post the output from ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*

1 Like

Got past it. I inadvertently forgot to plug it in last night. Plugged it this a.m. and started the L5.
I tried to open BM-818 but desktop was frozen. I pushed and held the pwr button down. Removed the battery (not that I knew what I was doing - just seemed cool at the time.) Replaced battery, booted and all was good.
Went right to BM818-tools and voila! I think the screen cap below means it’s all working. If so, now to send/receive a pic maybe.

~

2 Likes

VoLTE is for calling.

3 Likes

Something I’d like to add is that you’d have to go to Chatty and enable it in settings there…

3 Likes

Thanks. Sometimes I get so confused. :confused:

2 Likes

Not a problem, learning is part of Linux

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Tracking and net neutrality in Canada