Do Librem 13 and 15s come with Bluetooth

sorry when exactly will PureOS move to 4.19 ? where do you follow this information ? my understanding is it’s like debian sid ? is this correct ?
4.18 is allready a great step for amd apu users since the vega gpu graphics driver is running out of the box with great performance and is for all intents and purposes the same performance as the closed source amd driver for gaming and 4k hdr not pro opengl for 3d and cad (that is still a pro driver premium fee-sadly:(
that is for amd raven ridge 2200G(4c) 2400G(8c) athon 200GE(2c) and the dedicated wx series gpus

Almost. Debian Testing. So you can expect kernel updates soon after they are in there.

yes 4.19 is brand new but how stable is it compared to the less-brand new 4.18 ?

I assume one or more of the Linux vendors asks “What seems to be the problem with releasing the source for the drivers?”

What tends to be the response?
Just curious.
-K

It’s about 6 weeks less stable :wink:
However, that should really not be a concern. Linux kernels are stable the day they are released. There is no “lets’s hope for the best and let’s see what happens when we release this to the wild”.
By the time a new kernel is pushed to Debian testing it already received some patches. But if you looked through the change logs (e.g. 4.19.1), you might find that they are minor and would not really have affected you. Or they fix problems also present in 4.18.

2 Likes

Simply copy the ar3k folder from the link:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/ar3k

to your system partition /lib/firmware/
Then reboot and it should work.

I have been working on resolving the issue and can happily report that I did at least get rid of the firmware but the driver still needs the sysconfig file (ramps*). I am further working on finding out what it contains and how to remove this too - or to find out more about its content and eventually decide if we can include it in PureOS. So we are making progress on this front too.

Cheers
nicole

5 Likes

The license says that

No reverse engineering, decompilation, or disassembly of this Software is permitted.

How does one free the firmware without doing any of that? Doesn’t one need to know how the firmware should work in order to write the firmware?

At which point do you accept a licence and therfore are bound by its terms? :slight_smile:

I don’t like it when someone breaches {,A}GPL especially when I am one of the contributors. That’s why I respect nonfree licenses and try to avoid things published under them. At what point does someone who disagrees with copyleft licenses accept? How is taking code from a GPL work and publishing it under a nonfree license different from reverse engineering or decompiling nonfree code and publishing it under GPL without permission?

Taking GPL work and publishing it under another license is a copyright infringment.

Publishing reverse-engineered code is something else. A license breach if you had to accept the license in order to get hold of the binary. Some other laws regarding reverse-engineering may apply. Not everywhere it is legal to reverse engineer just like that. Some jurisdictions require you to have a valid reason for it. (valid legally, not the same thing as morally justified).

Anyhow, those differences are immaterial to what I was saying (or attempted to say) before: A license only applies when you accept it. How and when you accept a license is a matter much more complicated than it should be. I’ll stop here and refer you to a lawyer.

My Bluetooth headphones work just fine with a fresh install of PureOS on my Librem 13 v3. The only trouble I have is they lose connection any time I switch from battery to AC power or vice versa. I don’t know what the blob is supposed to do, but I haven’t needed to install it yet.

Now it won’t recognize the Bluetooth capabilities. I guess my experience was an anomaly I cannot remake.

Hi,

I’m sorry as I’m quite not an advanced user of Linux distribution, my question below may seem to be a bit ‘stupid’…

Using your link, how do i get and copy the all ‘ar3k’ folder. I cannot find any command for it.

Thx

The easiest way to get Bluetooth is to install all the proprietary Atheros firmware with these commands:
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-atheros_20190114-2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i firmware-atheros_20190114-2_all.deb

If you want to only install the proprietary firmware for the Atheros Bluetooth, you need to do it this way:
sudo apt install git
git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
(Wait while it downloads 360MB)
cd linux-firmware
sudo cp -r ar3k /lib/firmware/

If you want to delete the 360MB that you downloaded:
cd ..
rm -r linux-firmware

@nicole.faerber, @mladen, @joao.azevedo,
In my opinion, these instructions should be added to https://docs.puri.sm

3 Likes

Official guides cannot explain how to get proprietary firmware if you want PureOS RYF certified.

2 Likes

Anyone see anything contradictory in that? :slight_smile:

True freedom includes the freedom to install proprietary, blackbox, potentially backdoored software?

1 Like

true freedom ALSO includes the freedom to do your own research somewhere else … :slight_smile:
if that research takes you to some other distribution’s wiki then that doesn’t mean you can’t apply said instructions retroactively in a RYF certified distribution … that being said PureOS is STILL a pure OS precisely because it’s NOT named FreedomOS :sweat_smile:

Why is that a question? Of course that is what freedom is about. It is YOUR hardware, and you can use it however you see fit.

Honestly, if this was not the case, I never would have bought a single Purism product.

3 Likes

My comment was more about the meaning of “respect your freedom”.

1 Like

Because it was an agrammatical continuation of the previous sentence. :wink:

1 Like