Domestic "Shipping Fee" for Purism Store Items

Perusing items for purchase in Purism’s store, I noticed that even the tiniest items, such as SD Memory Card, Librem Key, Librem 5 battery, etc., incur a “shipping fee” of $24.82, even for delivery within California, where Purism, and supposedly the store, is located.

What’s up with this “shipping fee?” It seems a bit usurious.

Laptop screws: $4.90, plus $24.82 shipping fee?!

EDIT: Actually, now I can’t tell if that fee is accurate or if my browser simply isn’t updating the shipping when I change items. Maybe I’m blocking a script from running or something.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Can confirm it’s not just you seeing that fee.

Typically a fee like that is to cover the cost of the person in the warehouse pulling and packing the item for shipping. The time it takes to find an item and pack it isn’t likely to meaningfully change based on the size of the item (up to a point).

5 Likes

I have a $40.84 fee to Wyoming

2 Likes

Hypothetically speaking, what would it cost you to drive from your place to Purism and back, covering fuel and wear-and-tear? :wink:

4 Likes

I could probably realize some savings. Hypothetically speaking. :wink:

But it would depend on where Purism’s “store” is located (SoCal vs NorCal), and whether they would even be willing to sell over the counter.

3 Likes

I noticed that 4 years ago when I needed some small parts. I think their overhead is too high to handle small orders efficiently and cheaply. I don’t think there is much they can do about it until their business volume increases considerably. I do hope they learn to start thinking about logistics and strategy before then.

3 Likes

I experienced something similar a year or so ago. I was buying the new modem that had come out, and wanted to get other items. So, I was coordinating with support. When I asked about the high cost of the shipping the person I was working with said they would check with their team to see what the actual cost of the shipping would be. It went from $40+ dollars down to $4 or $5 dollars.

It seems like there is some sort of glitch or error in their ordering system that is doing the calculations wrong?

I would just contact support when you are ready to order and ask if what the system is showing is the actual shipping costs. They might be able to help you.

5 Likes

Carlsbad, CA

2 Likes