Dropped Librem 5. Screen shattered. Advice?

Perhaps it’s just because I’m in a bit of a panic, but I can’t seem to find replacement screens on sale or anything else about what to do when this happens. I can’t be the first to break one, so I’m sorry if I’m just looking in the wrong places. Any help would be appreciated.

Contact support via email is the best option I’m aware of.

2 Likes

Sorry about your screen!

For everyone’s general info, could you describe the parameters of the drop for us? For instance, how far it fell, what kind of surface it hit, which part of the phone struck first, etc. (Just so we can get an idea of what kind of threshold is needed for a “shatter event.”)

2 Likes

I was grabbing my water from the floor and I didn’t see that the charging cable was between the bottle and me. It fell about three feet, but may have been accelerated by the cord being pulled from below. It certainly wasn’t helped by the fact that the floor here is uneven, and the core of the damage seems to be a spot that landed on a raised bit.

I suspect a regular three foot fall onto a reasonably smooth surface would not have cause the same problem, so I don’t know that this information is useful, though.

I also have no idea if we use “shattered” in the same way, so I’ll include a pic. (Of note, aside from a small area near the epicenter of the damage, the screen remains responsive.)

3 Likes

Yeah
I’d contact support like the others said. My phone is currently in for repair for other reasons and thus far purism support for it has been excellent in helping get it fixed.

As it’s accidental you may need to pay for it. If you go that route please let us know how it works out. I’m sure you won’t be the only one who breaks their screen.

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

You may be the first.

1 Like

I’ve seen shatter patterns like that on the screen protector for my Samsung Note 9. If you can find a suitable screen protector, then when this happens, all you need to do is to peel off the old shattered screen protector and replace it with a new one. I keep a few spares on-hand. The whole procedure takes five minutes or less.

The trick for the Librem 5 will be to find a screen protector with a perfect fit. You have to have a perfect fit because there is no adhesive used. Somehow, a natural vacuum seal exists that keeps the screen protector firmly bonded on to the face of the phone. The only time I’ve seen it fall off is if I drop the phone hard enough to shatter the screen protector. But through several hard drops on to hard surfaces, my screen has never been damaged.

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/invisibleshield

I usually buy these on Amazon. Since my phone is so old, Zagg might not even sell it anymore. If you know of a mainstream phone with a screen that matches that of a Librem 5, a screen protector for that phone might work on the Librem 5.

That’s true. Perhaps we should refer to it as “my screen got eriix’d” from now on.

1 Like

It was made clear by Purism in another thread that replacement parts were sold, but for some reason they are not shown in store but via the support email. Changing the screen should be possible by yourself, or take the part and phone to a pro-shop to do it.

2 Likes