Dual sim on librem5

any info about a chance to have dual sim in librem5? or do anyone know if there is any kind of device who will make a normal smartphone dual sim capable?
of course the first option is alot better, i hope someone from purism could say something about that

5 Likes

yes, I support this notion.
<rant>
However in general i don’t understand why on earth in this digital age we’re still using this crappy piece of plastic. they provide zero security/protection, but huge inefficiency and poor user experience.
</rant>

2 Likes

operators already go eSIM (embedded sim) but i don’t know if i like that better… what’s purisms opinion on that?

2 Likes

Pragmatic solution: On the hardware side, offer (at least) one (nano)slot. On the software side, allow adding as many eSIMs as device storage permits :wink: .

I like the simplicity of switching a hardware token from one phone to a different one, for example if the battery dies or you want to try something or whatever.

Securitywise, are there differences? In theory, duplication is not possible (for both), the provider should enforce that there is only one login.
Privacywise, a real SIM might be obtained anonymously, at least in some countries. (edit: Hm… probably possible for eSIM in theory, too, but never heard of it)

Now, a SIM has the PIN (and PUK etc.) locally. How does that work with eSIM? Probably, once activated on the phone, there is a token stored on the phone, so you might want to be sure 3rd party software has no access to it.

2 Likes

eSIM is just a quick and dirty drop-in replacement (soldered-in reflashable sim - hence embedded, not software). Ideally it should be reworked to be crypto-token based with same pin/puk methodology. After all it’s just about credentials to get access to the network (id + key).
I’d still prefer software manager to sims (think a bundle of soft-sims which you can copy to your phone and pull necessary one on demand). Internet/Mobile banking already developed robust framework for key management with controllable cloning etc.
As for cloning sims - it’s not a big deal, it is considered illegal but there’re plenty dumb guides to make it available to home user rather than sophisticated criminal mind. So - not much harder than let say flashing sim software bundle to baseband eeprom.

1 Like

I’d like to add to the clamour for a dual SIM card slot.

More than that, I’d like to emphasise how grateful we are to you at Purism for your hard work, and for doing something which puts the public benefit before profit, that no one has yet had the will to do even though it has been technologically possible for a while. I’d love this to be a dual SIM, wireless charging, waterproof, 10000 mAh, UFS storage card slotted, NFC equipped flagship, that will replace my laptop with a bluetooth keyboard, it’s own screen as a trackpad, and a portable usb-c screen as a display. But it’s far more important that you are allowed and supported to Keep It Simple, take whatever time you need, and make whatever decisions you feel are required in order to maximise the odds of success. Thank you for your hard work.

Yours with the very best of wishes for your endeavour and for the new year,
Al

P.S. When it comes out, I’d be happy to contribute to a bounty for a clock based blue light filter, if such a system exists…

6 Likes

http://jonls.dk/redshift/, source available from https://github.com/jonls/redshift/releases

It already exists, and I don’t foresee much difficulty in compiling and installing it on the Librem 5.

5 Likes

Gleaming - thank you! This is probably going to be nigh on my dream phone…

1 Like

Someone know if it’s a dual sim or not ?
I wait on this reply for support the Librem 5 or wait the next version :wink:

As nobody said it is, assume it is not until they do.

1 Like

As they said in their recent blog post, they doesn’t figured out which modem to use as they doesn’t have a manufacturer yet. So not clear if the modem /baseband supports it and i doubt this is an important feature they look for. Might be on board if they have the choice between otherwise equal options.
The article also said that separating cpu and baseband needs more space. Which also make a second simcard slot more unlikely. Therefore i would say another indicator for being as low priority target or rather an features which potentially opponents a lot more crucial and important features.
But hey all this are just my speculations.

2 Likes

I agree with @ramnasko, in their Phone Progress Report Nicole states their list of manufacturers is narrowed to:

• Manufacturers of baseband separated from CPU
  • Manufacturers willing to open their specifications in order to produce non-proprietary code
  • Manufacturers willing to work with the not-yet-released i.MX8 board

There already is not much choice. Having a dual-sim modem, though appealing, does not seem realistic.

1 Like

I am hoping that if a dual sim is not implemented, then the software for this device can be ported: https://www.magic-sim.com/ It may be a good option?

Sorry for being late to the party… I ordered a 5 but I really hope it will come with dual sim also. Many Chinese phones support this, but for those of us with work SIMs and private SIMs it is just so much easier to only carry one handset. Please save me from going back to two phone hell. Thanks

1 Like

No news about dual SIM support ?

Accoding to my knowledge, the modem has not been chosen yet, so it is unlikely whether it will be possible to have dual sim. What should be possible hardware: Connect a second modem with integrated SIM-slot via USB. If there will be a decision to implement dual SIM in the hardware itself, it will certainly be announced via the blog.

Would be an awesome decision, given the oportunity.

Is this now 100% that we will get only single SIM?

https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Boards/imx8.html#dev-kit-package

This is actually horribly because it makes the phone not usable for me :frowning:
Can I step out of the funding?
This phone will be lying in a drawer or I will have to re-sell it.
I need a number for my work and my private number. I do not want to mix those different circle of people and I certainly do not want to run around with two phones.

EDIT: Does anyone know whom to approach, to clarify the exit out of the funding. Maybe some people already tried or a member of purism reads this and explains it.

Well yes, seems like dual sim is out (might have been considered not very useful since most people use only one sim), if you want to get a refund you can check this out.
Just a small question here, if you really want to have 2 numbers why does it bother you to use 2 phones?

Why I do not want to have a second phone? Well my pockets are already full as it is.
Two phones means caring for two as well. Charging, updating, not forgetting at home. Yes they are small things and certainly can be dealt with but life is simply easier with one.
Furthermore I am saving money as well right now as only one SIM needs to have the data option enabled. If I have two phones then both need to have internet.

Thanks for the Link :slight_smile:

1 Like