Eliminate waiting for the encrypted partition on boot

In order to shrink the main LUKS encrypted partition to a reasonable size, I had to remove the encryption first (at least this is what seemed the safest way to go about it). So, I booted up a live CD and decrypted nvme0NpM partition. Shrinking worked as well, but on booting again , I was greeted with a message that LUKS partition is being waited on (sorry for the imprecise quoting of the actual notification). This hangs the system upon boot for around 2 minutes after which the everything proceeds as usual.

My question is how to switch off waiting for the LUKS partition (which is not LUKS encrypted any more) during boot?

EDIT After @irvinewade 's comment:

• Machine: Librem 14
  • Boot: Coreboot
1 Like

It may help to provide more background information about your environment e.g. is this Librem 14? something else? If Librem 14, what firmware (Coreboot or Pureboot)? What operation system version?

It may be that the unencrypted boot partition is still expecting the root partition to be encrypted - and while I think things are getting messy 1 - going to a live boot again and changing the right thing on the boot partition may resolve the problem.

1 For example, I hope you backed everything up before starting this exercise?

I don’t know what is a “reasonable size” but I think the default setup is usually 1) a small boot partition (enough for the job) and 2) the entire rest of the disk is an encrypted root partition. There are solid reasons for such a setup. You may want to elaborate on what you were originally trying to achieve.

1 Like

I’ve updated my original post. You are right, I should have provided more information.

Firstly, the system works. After decrypting the partition and resizing, I am still able to boot (using grub) into PureOS, it’s just that when PureOS is selected from the list of OSes, it clearly expects the partition to be encrypted and, waits for it to be ready and when it does not find it, somehow falls back to booting from the partition in its decrypted state.

Why did I do it? Because, I wanted to put another Linux OS on a different partition. I am currently dual booting PureOS and Garuda on my Librem 14.

OK, that’s fair. But potentially messy. Depending on what your exact need is, I might have been tempted to put the other distro on another disk (in which case the two distros don’t need to share a boot partition, for example).

If using Pureboot and boot integrity protection (i.e. Librem Key), having two distros is going to get complicated. In any case, you can’t practically get full boot integrity protection if the root partition is not encrypted.