Enough is enough with Firefox

Attention…

Incoming, more frustration in FF97:

N.B.:

Firefox users have two options when it comes to the new download behavior. The first enables the classic download behavior, but the caveat is that Mozilla may remove the option eventually. The second option enables the download prompt to save files to different directories. It lacks the open option of the classic dialog.

It amuses me how changes that break people’s workflows are always packaged as “improvements” instead of using some neutral wording.

3 Likes

Sometimes also called “modernization.” :roll_eyes:

At least “modernization” reveals its allegiance to fashion (as opposed to utility) if you squeeze your eyes hard enough.

1 Like

Is that how they “squint” over there? I like yours better.

1 Like

Idioms are hard. I have no idea where that word came from :open_mouth: Neural short circuit…?

2 Likes

It’s the same in politics. Changes are always packaged as the more upbeat “reforms”.

Firefox 97 removed the ability to use system printing as default: https://www.ghacks.net/2022/02/19/mozilla-removed-the-classic-print-preview-from-firefox-there-is-still-one-option/

The about:config workaround print.tab_modal.enabled false no longer does anything.

A timely article: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/is-firefox-ok/

EDIT: Firefox 97.0.1 is the update I’m referring to.

1 Like

“By default” doesn’t mean it still can’t be accessed, no?

Or did they also remove other things, like a question to use the “system” at the bottom of the print dialog ?

Yes, it’s still there. (For now :roll_eyes:.)

But you’re now forced to go through their print dialog first, just to get to your own system print dialog.

Imagine if every installed application wanted to manage your printing in their own uniquely different way!

“System print by default” is still an option in FF-ESR, fortunately.

I should be proud of myself, it was just a lucky guess.

(I guess that makes it like Windoze.)

I’ll probably just start using “Save” from the main menu, to save as .pdf, then print from my desktop. People are commenting that the FF dialog has removed some functionality and granular options when printing (like duplex, etc.). And there’s also the wonderful “More settings” to further waste your time.

Since I have no printer, I don’t care about this special change. But I’m also not stupid and see the overall progress direction (and that some people care!). What can we do to get “our” browser back? Donating a lot to Mozilla that they don’t need Google Donations anymore or create a “should-be-the-real-firefox”-fork? I only read problems, but no real solution for now.

I mean there are some more or less alternatives around, but are they really what we want?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a mystery to me what Mozilla is hoping to achieve with all these jarring functionality and UI changes, but they’ve surely realized by now that they’re bleeding users every day because of them.

Are you sure though that they are bleeding users because of those changes? I’m getting an impression that all popular applications are now an inconsistent mess, so perhaps the majority like the direction of changes. I certainly have no data though.

Fair point. I have no empirical data, of course. But I do read widely about Firefox updates. (I’ve grown apprehensive about applying them before I know what Mozilla has changed.) What I see from comments everywhere is mostly great frustration directed at the UI changes, on Reddit, on tech review sites, and especially in Mozilla’s own support forum.

It’s a given that people who are very displeased post negative comments more than people who are very pleased post positive comments, sure. That leaves only people in the middle, who don’t comment, and who are either OK with abrupt change or slightly annoyed by it, and those are probably not the best demographics to rely on for preserving your user base.

But yeah, no one can say for sure what the main reason is.

1 Like

Mozilla organization is not really a friendly open source organization any more. As I understand it, most of their funding comes from Google. We need a better alternative project, that is not chromium based.

4 Likes

Unbelievable. They are not serious.

About removing FTP? Of course they are serious. It’s an insecure protocol that should have been deprecated years ago.

Why the outrage? Is it that you don’t like change?

Mozilla organization is not really a friendly open source organization any more.

I think this requires more comment. Mozilla code is open source. Mozilla funds open source. Why do you say that Mozilla is not a friendly open source organization?

As I understand it, most of their funding comes from Google.

This is true, but I don’t see a problem with this. Google pays them so that Mozilla uses google as the default search engine. That default can easily be changed ( put this in the search bar “about:preferences#search” ). Before switching back to google as the default search, they had “yahoo” as the default search engine (for which yahoo paid $370M per year).

1 Like

The problem is not related to what users can do – most never change the defaults, that’s why defaults are so important – but about what the funded entity feels it’s allowed to do. If you’re getting money from X (Google), then you’re going to think twice before creating something that threatens X’s business (advertising and tracking done via Chrome).

The problem is the fear that Mozilla will stop itself from seriously trying to undermine the market share of their near-monopolist competitor.

Yahoo doesn’t have a browser, which would be a much less concerning source of funding.

2 Likes