Estimate your Librem 5 refund 💸

By ‘Refunded’ I mean the date when they sent you back the money. Did that happened on last November or …? why did you received it so late?

Now if only it were reciprocal i.e. no other threads hijacked by people whining about this and that (such as refunds, delays, …).

8 Likes

Ordered my Librem 5 phone in September 2019. Below are the details:

============================================

Order Number: # Purism_539314285
Order Date: September 13, 2019
Order Status: Awaiting Shipment

Order details

Product Total
Librem 5 × 1 $699.00
Subtotal: $699.00
Tax: $0.00
Payment method: Credit Card (Stripe)
Total: $699.00
Estimated Shipping Date: Librem 5 - To be determined based on CPU availability. Please check back later.
Note: Would prefer getting a Librem 5 from the FIR batch.

=========================================================
Have contacted Purism support (just did it again on 2/9/2022) about receiving a refund and they seemed to make up a rule that the product must be in an order queue. Previously, Purism promised to issue refunds to those who ordered Librem 5 phones. Keep in mind, they have my money but I HAVE NO PHONE!!!

3 Likes

Exactly! This was the idea of my posting to show that such postings does not belong into certain threads or not even in this forum at all and should be handled between the person and the company Purism.

From now I will set this pointless thread for me to muted. Good luck.

order : 2017-10-05
refund requested : 2021-12-14
refund accepted : 2021-12-15
wait for…

2 Likes

order: 2019-11-17
refund requested: repeatedly, most recently 2021-12-09
refund rejected (was told they were unable to pay, was offered vouchers towards the purchase of their other products). Will complain to the AG when I eventually find the time to do so, but currently have bigger fish to fry.

2 Likes

Also @john.jay.moore:

I’m going to change the table and sort it by Refund Requested On field, so it matters to have the first date (and not the last) when you requested it. Also I will count the days that passed until someone received the refund (for those who have).

Order date 31/01, 2019
Refund accepted 16/03, 2020
Still waiting for refund

2 Likes

The table is now sorted by the refund Requested date. Also, more info is compiled in the Note field.

1 Like

Backed the librem 5 in 2017. Received an email that device could be shipped in the end of 2021 and asked for a refund then. Was told it would take a few weeks and then did not received a refund. Asked for the refund again and was told it would be refuned in the first week of april. Still not received a refund and now they refuse to give a date.

Other thread on refunds here: 9 Months later and Purism still has my money

1 Like

Which means (to me) that you could have sold it (six months ago) here to some Forum member or even through some other public network.

It is up to your initiative on how to deal with it, here is link to the one of several threads showing another approach on how to get your money back:

That doesn’t necessarily follow. Could be shipped does not mean it would be shipped – it may only have been a shipping estimate.

Also, customers shouldn’t have to fall back on the market for used goods to get something approximating a refund.

5 Likes

I do agree with this judgement of yours indeed. Although I wasn’t actually suggesting selling away received Librem 5 either. Thanks anyway for correcting me, it was clear and purposely needed reaction from your side!

1 Like

Were you thinking about transferring the order to another potential customer? That’s also something I wish people weren’t obliged to do. It’s like trying to find someone to pay to take your place in a queue.

Anything between the company and the customer that requires the customer to involve a third party leaves a bitter taste, in my view.

3 Likes

Yes. And as second, I’m not saying that some Purism employee should be involved there as much (like we were asked at previous point of time on which Librem 5 Batch do we want to get delivered), doing just the final step where seller (perhaps @jox might reconsider such option) of his place within waiting queue sends out message to Purism requesting to transfer his pre-order to someone else (that is final and only official part of such conversation between two people). All I recommended in my above post is that we are having instrument of private message within this Forum where seller of some pre-order (should make new thread by her/himself offers certain place in queue to be sold). Few months ago I already bought one place in queue or rather pre-order this way from someone living within Europe. It was an easy conversation, SEPA money sent out from another EU country and transfer of #Purism_XYYXXXXXXX confirmed from Purism support@ side. As described here:

And here:

Or here:

where @Gagnarf final reply to me over private message was:

1 Like

I counter that at this point we’re seeing reports of devices ordered in 2018 being delivered, as such an order from 2017 would very much qualify as having already met their spot in the queue and should have either been shipped or had their refund processed. This is of course taking all claims at face value as there is no meaningful method to validate them from the outside.

Purism has already unilaterally and retroactively changed the agreement from refunds being provided upon request to requiring the customer to wait until their order is available to ship, to delay further does raise further ethical questions in my mind.

How does one estimate when they’ll get a refund if they aren’t being issued when the device would have been shipped as the latest agreement says they would…

While I agree the customer should not have to involve a third party and sell their device themselves or sell their place in the queue it does get them money the fastest, unfortunately it also incentivises Purism to delay as much as possible as then they don’t have to try and sell the device since the people canceling are doing that sales part for them.

1 Like

Which ones? I already wrote on how we can leave out and that we can leave out Purism of this game (money from 2017 wasn’t deposited on some Bank account, it was invested into this project, probably even into the NXP® working places in Austin, TX, somewhere where it was used well, as needed in particular building blocks phase) and offer to someone else particular Librem 5 spot in the queue or even give it away as present to someone that we care about or even to someone else that cares about getting and using Librem 5 ASAP. Please refer to this:

and this well thought out criterion:

Providing the refund gets everyone else in the queue their Librem 5 sooner by moving the whole queue up one instead of letting one person cut in line.

Yes it does look like that their Librem 5 will be delivered sooner. But with having those requesting their pre-order money back you’ll get your Librem 5 indeed sooner? I doubt that while money that might be additionally invested into the production of one extra Librem 5 will be gone (if and when refunded), money is lost at the moment when refund provided.

And please note that this post of mine is dialog between us that are interested in Purism success and/or getting Librem 5 into their hands to be used as intended for (to communicate) and not for those that want to prove something that they didn’t pay for in advance.

Ordered: 2017-10-14
Asked for refund: 2021-10-18
Refunded: -
Money received: -

EU customer (Germany)
Promised refunding in “late September”